Sophos XG

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dww0311

May 19, 2017
Nope, they promised a Migration Tool by the end of the summer. Now they are saying early 2018. Also, if you use most of the features in UTM don't even think about migrating for at least a year as XG is missing many features I use in UTM.
I am not holding my breath on that one. XG is built on Cyberroam technology. UTM is built on the legacy Astaro platform. They're totally different under the hood, so getting from one to the other isn't IMO going to be easily accomplished.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I am not holding my breath on that one. XG is built on Cyberroam technology. UTM is built on the legacy Astaro platform. They're totally different under the hood, so getting from one to the other isn't IMO going to be easily accomplished.
Yea I've been using UTM since it was Astaro and it's been great. Every time I've tested XG it just hasn't impressed me in comparison.

Dww0311

May 19, 2017
Yea I've been using UTM since it was Astaro and it's been great. Every time I've tested XG it just hasn't impressed me in comparison.
Ditto. I run UTM 9 as well. I think that XG has potential (for some mythical date in the future that may never arrive), but at present it's nowhere near ready for primetime / a candidate to replace UTM 9.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
How does Sophos not have an in place upgrade option from UTM to XG? That eliminates a large amount of users from being able to move to XG, especially myself (at work).
I was a huge fan of UTM9. This caused me to evaluate other options. I did VM upgrades to Xg, pfsense and a USG. Ultimately I went with a USG due to the integration with the rest of my Unifi setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Ditto. I run UTM 9 as well. I think that XG has potential (for some mythical date in the future that may never arrive), but at present it's nowhere near ready for primetime / a candidate to replace UTM 9.
XG is totally ready for primetime...just not for their user base who is largely on UTM. Unfortunately there is not much reason to adopt XG unless you are on UTM.

Dww0311

May 19, 2017
XG is totally ready for primetime...just not for their user base who is largely on UTM. Unfortunately there is not much reason to adopt XG unless you are on UTM.

I test drove one and was not impressed. Maybe XG has improved since then. Frankly, though, XG still isn't at feature parity with UTM and from what I'm hearing still suffers from stability issues. We won't even get into the mythical migration tools which they've been promising for a few years now, but haven't delivered. I also don't care much for the changed licensing model w/r/t XG , so honestly, as a UTM user, I have zero motivation to migrate to XG.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I run OPNsense and UTM at home and every now and then I'll loop back and try XG. Up until this last round I was never very happy, the interface ran slow, it lacked some features and overall I found it buggy. This last week I gave it another whirl and it is much improved. performance is good the UI is responsive and I haven't run into a single bug so far. In fact, my OPNsense hasn't been active since I turned on XG. The only issue I have with it is the lack of OpenVPN client support (connect to 3rd party VPN provider).

Reactions: Evan