Something I thought was not possible...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I have been reading in quite a few places that a sas controller can not support mixed topology on one SAS connector ergo when you have an IBM M1015 that fans out two sas connectors to whatever ( in this case ) four sata cables and they are plugged into a backplane cage that you can not have SAS hd's and sata hd's working on that one cable set - yet I have done this.
I have two HGST SAS drives on P3, P4 and a Seagate SATA drive on P2.

Can anyone tell me why this isn't meant to work?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It should work. The fact that you are using multilane cables really makes no difference. A lane is a lane, no matter the physical interface.

Reactions: Falloutboy

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yes sata drives and sas connected to the same multilane sas connector works.

What you read about sas & sata is that it's not recommended to use sas and sata devices in same array/logical volume as sas drives behave differently than sata drives. (Some GUIs like adaptecs maxview won't allow you to create such a volume, but cli works.)

menelmacar

May 2, 2017
Thanks for the info. I also thought I had read the same thing that you couldn't mix sas and sata on the same controller.