[solved] Supermicro X9SRi-F does not boot, but has IPMI

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by GreenApples, May 12, 2018.

1. GreenApples

GreenApples New Member

Hi,

I just got a Supermicro X9SRi-F, and am using a Xeon E5-2670 with it. My problem is that when I turn it on, the fans spin, and I can access IPMI, but there is no VGA output and as far as I can tell it doesn't boot (IPMI can't read temp or other stats). No beep codes happen.

Any ideas?

2. nico1304

nico1304 New Member

Hi, I was also facing similar issues. (no boot, no screen output, no beep, IPMI working, I've got 5VDC/12VDC at the molex plugs).
    When digging a bit further, my Mobo looks like having issues with the RAM modules.
    Slots 1A, 2A, 2B can only be used with 8GB modules, if I load anything onto 3A, 3B, 4A and 4C the Mobo does not boot.
    Slot 1B is somehow accepting the RAM module, but does not recognize it into the BIOS.
    ATM, I am trying to check if any combination of memory modules versus slot occupancy makes any difference, but nope. Until now, it simply fails. I keep performing some more.
    Also, the boot time is extremely slow, it takes several seconds before hearing the first beep and then starting seeing some output on the screen.

3. nico1304

nico1304 New Member

So, I may have found out the issue I have.
    The memory modules I have are Samsung 8GB M393B2G70DH0-CH9 and the SuperMicro seems to require M393B2G70BH0-CH9.
    Apparently, I had misread the requirements and got misled.
    So, it is running with 3*8GB on slots A1, B1 and B2. Do not quite understand why though.
    Will try to find other memory modules elsewhere and then update here accordingly.

4. GreenApples

GreenApples New Member

5. GreenApples

GreenApples New Member

I've read about other people who've had problems because they were using a V2 CPU, which the BIOS on the X9SRi-F doesn't support out of the box, but I bought a V1 CPU, so that should be fine in theory. Of course one can never be entirely sure as I did get it off Ebay.

6. GreenApples

GreenApples New Member

Issue resolved. There were some extra standoffs in my case that were touching the back of the motherboard, causing a short somewhere. Luckily in my case removing them fixed the problem.

cactus, Mkvarner and i386 like this.
  7. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Well-Known Member

The highlighted character should be a "don't care" in any application. It indicates the memory chip die revision used in the module. See here for details (position 10).

8. nico1304

nico1304 New Member

Sorry for the delay in response - my baby girl finally decided to show up :)
    I also had found the PDF were position 10 is a revision indicator, which I also believe should make no difference what-so-ever.
    I've mailed the US support directly (living in France), guys have responded (rather quickly I must say) I should use the "lab tested memory modules" instead of the reconditionned ones.
    Still they have recommended to open a case with them so they could track this down (even though the MB is EOL). I have a form based issue with their support website, still waiting for their reply.