Sold: Complete 16-bay system w/ 32TB user storage + separate OS disks, many other goodies!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
This is a newer package than the one previously listed here in July. I am selling one of my RAIDzilla II systems. This is a ready-to-go system (just add an operating system of your choice, as 16 * 2TB WD RE4 drives are installed, as are 2 * 320GB WD Black drives, DVD-RW, and PCIe SSD Cache card). Specific contents:
  • Ci Design NSR316 chassis (3RU rackmount)
  • Supermicro X8DTH-iF motherboard w/ IPMI, no on-board SAS
  • 2 * E5520 CPU w/ 2* STS100C heatsink / fan
  • 6 * Hynix HMT31GR7AFR4C-H9 8GB DIMMs (1066) (48GB total)
  • 3Ware 9650SE-16ML SATA RAID controller (can also do JBOD) w/ battery backup option installed
  • 4 * CBL-SFF8087-05M controller-to-backplane cables
  • 2 * WD3200BEKT SATA drives (320GB WD Black for OS)
  • 16 * WD2003FYYS SATA drives (2TB, 64MB cache, 7200 RPM, enterprise grade). Even Dell just re-labels these and doesn't have any different firmare - these are the -02W0B0 variant (retail / bulk distribution, non-OEM, with the redesigned platters for greater reliability).
  • DL-8ATS slot-load SATA DVD drive
  • OCZ Z-Drive PCIe SSD (Older, modular PCIe SSD currently configured as a stripeset totalling 256GB)
  • SAS 5/E external SAS controller
  • 2 * spare power supplies
Memory has been extensively tested, as have the disk drives. SMART data is clean and correct. All drives have been wiped. The latest firmware for BIOS / IPMI / 3Ware / etc. has been installed. The system does NOT have sliding rack rails. Instead it has adjustable brackets that attach the rear of the chassis to a variety of differently-spaced rear rails. I can probably track down some new-in-box rails for a slight additional cost if that is important.

This is a picture of the actual system. Asking $700. Remember, even the "Great Deals" thread only went down to $30/drive for a 2TB drive, so you get $480 worth of drives before considering the rest of the compnents, and the convenience of having it assembled and tested for you. I will deliver for free in the larger tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT/PA), or you can pick it up in North Jersey. I don't have packing materials for the system, so shipping it is out of the question, sorry.

This is a picture of two systems. I am listing a single system. I have a second identical system if you are looking for more than one for some reason. I can also supply spare disk drives if desired, and/or an LTO-4 drive and some tapes if you want to experiment with tape backup. Let me know what you're looking for - I probably have it.

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
These spare disks you mentioned - are you willing to sell some on their own? :p
How many are you looking for? I was thinking 1 or 2 per chassis. I don't have a huge number of sealed spares for these. For a set of 16, I'd rather sell them in the chassis rather than a la carte. I'd be open to offers to part them out, particularly if you were looking for 50 or more drives.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'd like to buy some spare drives as well. Not 50 drives, but 4-6

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Vouch for @Terry Kennedy I looked into purchasing last time, very responsive and knows what he's talking about.
Thanks!

I normally don't sell stuff. This time it's because someone else who lives here ;) said "why do I keep tripping over this stuff - it's blocking the closet!"

I'd rather not part this stuff out a bit at a time, I'd like to move whole chassis at once. I don't have the packing materials to ship smallish numbers of drives (the boxes I have are usually 20-packs) and I definitely don't want to deal with shipping them (the USPS motto around here seems to be "service with a snarl").

If some well-known member here wants to take a carton or two of drives on consignment, deal with selling / shipping small quantities, and then send me an agreed-upon amount when they're all gone or a time limit expires, I'd be willing to do that.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
How loud is this bad boy?
I wouldn't want it under my desk, let's put it that way...

It would probably be OK in an office if it was in an out-of-the way corner. Note that on power-up and when it reboots, the fans run at high speed and it sounds like a jet taking off. That only lasts for a few seconds. Because I used it in a server room, I never investigated putting quieter fans in it - that might help a good deal.

I don't know where my SPL (dB) meter is and there's enough background noise that only things above ambient would register.

If you like, I'll power one of these up and let you know the fan models and RPMs reported. I could also make a cellphone video, talk normally and show you the background noise, then power up the server so you can get a rough idea.

bizzle

Nov 3, 2016
NJ

It would probably be OK in an office if it was in an out-of-the way corner. Note that on power-up and when it reboots, the fans run at high speed and it sounds like a jet taking off. That only lasts for a few seconds. Because I used it in a server room, I never investigated putting quieter fans in it - that might help a good deal.

I don't know where my SPL (dB) meter is and there's enough background noise that only things above ambient would register.

If you like, I'll power one of these up and let you know the fan models and RPMs reported. I could also make a cellphone video, talk normally and show you the background noise, then power up the server so you can get a rough idea.
You don't have to do all that. I was just curious if you already knew. I am still trying to convince my wife to let me buy it.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016

I am very interested in this 16 bay, though the 2TB drives are making me hesitant.

If you'd like, here are few ways you can use your cell phone to test out the loudness!

Android:
Sound Meter - Link
deciBel - Link

iOS:
TooLoud Pro - Link
dB Volume Meter - Link

Also, I live in Northern Jersey, so maybe we can meet halfway for pickup? :p

EDIT: English
EDIT2: More English

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I am very interested in this 16 bay, though the 2TB drives are making me hesitant.
I listed these without the drives and with only 16GB of RAM here previously. What's the issue with the 2TB drives - too small for you? If it is just a reliability thing, I can provide SMART data (here is a sample). There are no bad or pending sectors on any of the drives.
Also, I live in Northern Jersey, so maybe we can meet halfway for pickup? :p
I'll send you a PM.

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
Posting on behalf of my brother, who might be interested and will be in NJ tomorrow through Friday helping our parents pack up and move. I think the included set of 2TB drives would be just fine for him. Will just need to verify that these CPUs will work for him for an all-in-one system, rather than an E5 of some sort and will follow up shortly.

Couple questions:
* It looks like yes but want to verify -- does this fit full-height PCI[e] cards?
* Do the backplane/controller support larger-than-2TB drives?
* I'm familiar with the limitations of the Supermicro 836/846 SAS1 vs SAS2 backplanes, but it looks like this uses enough separate cables for a SAS lane per drive? Can you briefly describe the configuration/simultaneous throughput limitations here (e.g. is there bandwidth sharing between the drives that becomes a limiting factor)?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Posting on behalf of my brother, who might be interested and will be in NJ tomorrow through Friday helping our parents pack up and move. I think the included set of 2TB drives would be just fine for him.
I have a sale pending from an earlier inquiry. As I mentioned in my PM, I will let you know one way or another once I find out.
Will just need to verify that these CPUs will work for him for an all-in-one system, rather than an E5 of some sort and will follow up shortly.
The CPUs in the box are E5520s, so you 2 sockets, 8 cores, 16 threads. The motherboard supports all released 5500 and 5600 series processors, so you could go all the way up to X5690s if you wanted. Although if you were going to do that sort of swap, you might be better served with a different motherboard that supports newer processors.
Couple questions:
* It looks like yes but want to verify -- does this fit full-height PCI[e] cards?
Yes. 7 slots, all PCIe 2 x8 full height.
* Do the backplane/controller support larger-than-2TB drives?
* I'm familiar with the limitations of the Supermicro 836/846 SAS1 vs SAS2 backplanes, but it looks like this uses enough separate cables for a SAS lane per drive? Can you briefly describe the configuration/simultaneous throughput limitations here (e.g. is there bandwidth sharing between the drives that becomes a limiting factor)?
The backplane does not use expanders - all drives have a direct connection to the controller. There are 4 drives per SFF-8087 connector. The controller supports large drives with recent firmware, and the latest firmware is already installed. The release notes for the firmware list drives up to 4TB, which were the largest generally available when that firmware was released. You could also swap to a LSI controller like the 9201-16i (or a pair of 8i's which would be less expensive) if you wanted - they use the same cables so it is a simple controller swap with the existing cables.

Reactions: NickM