SOLD **0x 64gb 2s2rx4 PC4-2666V PH M393A8K40B22-CWD DDR4 $99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
And more memories again :)

I don't recall so much availability of memory for DDR3 RDIMMS, especially not at the high end capacities.

GLWS

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
And more memories again :)

I don't recall so much availability of memory for DDR3 RDIMMS, especially not at the high end capacities.

GLWS
Yep, the 64GB DDR3 LRDIMMs were as rare as hen's teeth and cost more than DDR4. Definitely a good time for DDR4 based platforms in the secondhand markets. :)

Reactions: Bert

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I am not even sure if I have seen any 32GB DDR3 dimms.
There were a lot that were at pre-covid prices (finally!) around on the various sites including here, but you had to pounce fast. I have enough for all my old stuff now. :D
we had lots and lots, but lots have just ended at recycler, not even thought it could be valuable
Very sad to hear this. So much stuff going to 'recyclers' that should be re-used instead. Anything still working is still worth something to someone that wants to use it. Hell, even half working or non-working stuff is useful to people who repair or want to learn how to repair as I've seen WTB listings for stuff like that too.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
There were a lot that were at pre-covid prices (finally!) around on the various sites including here, but you had to pounce fast. I have enough for all my old stuff now. :D
Very sad to hear this. So much stuff going to 'recyclers' that should be re-used instead. Anything still working is still worth something to someone that wants to use it. Hell, even half working or non-working stuff is useful to people who repair or want to learn how to repair as I've seen WTB listings for stuff like that too.
no doubt, I'm guilty myself, for us its just a cost, but we are improving at it, and its a focus area now

but I thought DDR3 was just to old, we just ship off G6,G7,G8,G9 when we get them, will try to work with one of the reselling partners here or just give it away to someone who actually wants to use it

DDR4 we do keep, and use a lot of it, when retire, even 2133 and 2400 on 3rd gen epyc or ice lake is nice.like theese chips in the thread is very nice.

Reactions: Bert and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
no doubt, I'm guilty myself, for us its just a cost, but we are improving at it, and its a focus area now

but I thought DDR3 was just to old, we just ship off G6,G7,G8,G9 when we get them, will try to work with one of the reselling partners here or just give it away to someone who actually wants to use it

DDR4 we do keep, and use a lot of it, when retire, even 2133 and 2400 on 3rd gen epyc or ice lake is nice.like theese chips in the thread is very nice.
Yep and that's the hard part to balance--corporate policy on machines with data needing to be sanitized, etc, and just the ability to pass on the stuff where it will enter the secondary market as smoothly as possible.

One of the best places to give away stuff is right here. The other is reddit homelabsales. I've seen people clear out a whole rack in a day. The main problem is logistics, but 'local pickup only' can work as long as the volume is smaller. Backblaze did this every so often and got rid of their storage chassis pretty quickly, but it did seem like an operation for sure with the amount of demand and supply they had to deal with.

The best bet has always been to just sanitize the servers to whatever level the powers deem (down to barebones if need be), and then just stack them and make them first come, first serve. You can even just put a stack by the road and I'm sure it would disappear overnight. ;)

Reactions: ano

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Policy is a huge thing, but we are seeing a change now where this might change, I'm in europe

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Policy is a huge thing, but we are seeing a change now where this might change, I'm in europe
Interesting. I'm definitely curious how it works differently over there. Does GDPR factor in over there for servers that are to be put out to pasture? And if so, to what extent?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Interesting. I'm definitely curious how it works differently over there. Does GDPR factor in over there for servers that are to be put out to pasture? And if so, to what extent?
yes, (im in europe btw) before you couldn't do anything with them, depending on sector

sanitizing flash media is also an issue though, but yeeting the drives, and not the rest is at least becoming an option now, even for gov, for private sector you can do whatever, but of course, but have to think about GDPR

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
yes, (im in europe btw) before you couldn't do anything with them, depending on sector

sanitizing flash media is also an issue though, but yeeting the drives, and not the rest is at least becoming an option now, even for gov, for private sector you can do whatever, but of course, but have to think about GDPR
Gotcha, so not much more different than in the US. :)