Socket 2011 square & narrow ILM active cooling solutions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Maxx_1150

May 16, 2021
My recommendation in a prior post was in response to your original post concerning using a 2U chassis. Along with the cooling solution in the photo, I'd placed a 40mm fan on the onboard RAID/HBA controller's heatsink (X10SRH-CF) and changed the fan profile using IPMI Tool. With 6 SATA drives I could maintain temperatures with the stock fan-wall fans set to 15% idle and about 33% max.... It sat in a rack about 4 feet from my head for a couple years and was almost inaudible at that distance. The disk noise was much more noticable than the fans.
@Markess, that's a remarkable achievement ! The X10DRI build I carried out last summer was pretty quiet but not as quiet as your HomeLab server.

For that project, I used two of these PWS-920SQ PSUs, did the SQ fan changes, converted the passive SM heatsinks to Noctua NH-U12DX-i4, for which I removed the original Supermicro air shroud, and introduced a couple of coolers - one on the south bridge. I had two RAID cards in there, both based on the SAS-3108. I remember attaching fans to both of these cards (one was a Lenovo 530i-8, to power 2 RAID-1 arrays built on 4 SAS3 SSDs) and the other was a Supermicro NVMe RAID card, supporting PCI 3.x speeds, also based on the Broadcom/Avago SAS-3108 (AOC-SLG3-2H8M2 - powering 2x Samsung PM9A3 of 3.84TB - 110mm M.2 version, also in RAID1), an interesting solution - it worked with the X10DRI, although this isn't an "officially endorsed" combination. But why should this NOT work, anyway.

EDIT (2023/FEB/22) - just noticed a slight error. Both RAID Cards feature a SAS-3408, not an SAS-3108 as initially stated by me.

I was able to materially cool down these RAID CPUs on the SAS-3108 cards with dedicated fans. Used a 40mm or 50mm Sunon on the Lenovo 530-8i and a 60mm Papst on the Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2H8M2. I think the temperature reduction at these controller chips (they have a thermo sensor that can be read out) was in excess of 20°C with this arrangement.

Last edited:

Haunter

Dec 24, 2023
What a pity. Those 0YH2R3 are the best option you can find for a narrow ILM. They easily cope with 160w TDP CPU (2687wv4) at full load while spinning at around 3000 RPM only.

That's useful info, I have Dell Precision 5810 tower, with Xeon 1620, will upgrade to 2697A and I thought will need to put there Noctua NH-D9L to be able to cool it.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I recently discovered that LGA2011 Narrow ILM is VERY close in screw hole spacing to AM4.

Often if you use a drill to slightly widen the mounting bracket holes, you can make it fit.

It will be rotated 90 degrees compared to AM4, but a lot of the time it WILL fit.

Some coolers allow for 90 degree rotation too, which may work, but then you have to pay attention to RAM interference.

I'm considering seeing if I can make a couple of Noctua NH-U14S coolers work with my old Supermicro X9DRI-F using this trick. Using the shorter Noctua secufirm2 brackets I may even be able to rotate them right, but it will be VERY close when it comes to heat-pipe/RAM interference.

It may work, it may not.

Last edited:

lundrog

Jan 23, 2015
Minnesota
vroger.com
should be Noctua NH-U12DX i4
same than first picture but without FAN.
thanks.

would the Noctua NH-U12S Redux work? lists it on the website.
otherwise saw

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
would the Noctua NH-U12S Redux work? lists it on the website.
NH-U12S Redux will not have the narrow brackets.
Noctua compatibility list says "Mechanically incompatible" for any Narrow 2011/2066 motherboard.

Last edited: