SM CSE-216 chassis 142 OBO + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Sorry for digging up this old thread but I noticed the seller has a new version available with LP slots: SuperMicro 2U RAID ARRAY SATA Enclosure Server Case Chassis 24x 2.5" Trays PSU | eBay

I'm local so I can arrange for pickup. I'm hesitant though since I'm not quite sure if this fits my need. I am planning on using this with a vm server with guests stored on ssds but not sure if the included backplane is the best choice. In particular, will I be able to directly connect to the sata ports on my motherboard (SuperMicro X11DPi-N). Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
$113.93 for shipping is very high! Why is there so much difference in shipping fees of sellers on eBay? Is it about having a good deal with freight/shipping companies or not?

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Sorry for digging up this old thread but I noticed the seller has a new version available with LP slots: SuperMicro 2U RAID ARRAY SATA Enclosure Server Case Chassis 24x 2.5" Trays PSU | eBay

I'm local so I can arrange for pickup. I'm hesitant though since I'm not quite sure if this fits my need. I am planning on using this with a vm server with guests stored on ssds but not sure if the included backplane is the best choice. In particular, will I be able to directly connect to the sata ports on my motherboard (SuperMicro X11DPi-N). Anyone have any suggestions?
Just to follow up, from the pics and wattage of the psu this is probably a SAS-216EL1 backplane which probably okay for data storage, but not for my use case

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Is it about having a good deal with freight/shipping companies or not?
They probably evade ebay fees. Commercial sellers (50+ listings per month) have to pay ebay up to 20% or so of the total sales. Shipping costs don't count as "sales", they don't have to fees for that.

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
They probably evade ebay fees. Commercial sellers (50+ listings per month) have to pay ebay up to 20% or so of the total sales. Shipping costs don't count as "sales", they don't have to fees for that.
Then they woudn't offer local picups, won't they?

Gesendet von meinem ONE E1003 mit Tapatalk

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
That's not correct. Commercial sellers actually get lower fees (3.6-6%) and fees are also charged on shipping at the same rate. eBay changed that probably 15 years ago.

When you have a non-rounded number like that, it means it's being generated by eBay's shipping calculator and not being manually set by the seller (they input weight, dimensions, and surcharges). You can always contact them for an exact quote if it's abnormally high.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
that seller won't budge on shipping costs, at least not when i explained to them their shipping was a lot higher than i've seen for other sellers shipping similar items longer distances. their response was that there's a cost to shipping materials and that's not free. on the other hand, they did do a very good job packing the server i got from them; it was a box worth keeping to re-use. most server shipments i get are good for one trip, i throw the box out because it's almost falling apart.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Just to follow up, I ended up purchasing the server from the original post for $120. The dude handling ebay sales there was super nice and let me choose the one I wanted from the remaining inventory (I chose one without the funky colored markings on the drive bays). Mine also came with the inner rails. As a bonus, it also came with 900w power supplies instead of 700w (although I'll probably swap them out for SQ's).

Also dropped by UnixSurplus and ordered compatible LP rear window + air shroud for $35 after taxes. Dude helping me out there also gave me a tour of their warehouse (soo many supermicro cases).

Last edited: