SM CSE-216 chassis 142 OBO + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I'll ship it to you overseas for a few bucks and whatever true cost of shipping it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How loud are they stock?
Way too many variables.

JBOD1 ?
JBOD3 ?
SSD installed or hDD?
2U passive heatsink?
2U active heatsinks/fans?

I can confirm under certain setups even a 2670 V1 dual proc setup can be nearly silent.

We've gone over this numerous times in numerous threads, you can search and find the setup info :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Looks like a sas2 A backplane to me. Good deal for sure IMHO. Think I paid between $175-250 each for my two SC216 A-sytle chassis.

EDIT: Shipping is a bit steep, maybe not as good of a deal taking that into account.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Way too many variables.

JBOD1 ?
JBOD3 ?
SSD installed or hDD?
2U passive heatsink?
2U active heatsinks/fans?

I can confirm under certain setups even a 2670 V1 dual proc setup can be nearly silent.

We've gone over this numerous times in numerous threads, you can search and find the setup info :)
I have one with a dual 260v1 setup and it's not overly loud but I wouldn't want to sit next to it all day. It's much quieter than the average 1U.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have one with a dual 260v1 setup and it's not overly loud but I wouldn't want to sit next to it all day. It's much quieter than the average 1U.
Intel 2U HSF?
Passive HS?
Dynatron Copper HSF?
Dynatrton mix HSF?

Drastic differences in pitch, overall sound level, etc... :) depending on which way you went.

Also need to make sure midplane fans are connected to motherboard for PWM not backplane for 100% insane sound :D

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i didn't need it... damn you STH!!!! picked one up with counter offer of $129+shipping+CA tax = $210. shipping is high. i asked for one with vertical slots; hope they don't screw it up. i don't even have a motherboard or SSDs to fill it, which is going to make me spend more ... don't do it guys, it's just the start of a money pit LOL

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
looking further at what this seller has, I think they just liquidated a bunch of stuff from former GridIron Systems, which got bought by Violin Memory. I think these supermicro systems must have been the 1st products by Gridiron Systems - they also have some other later model Gridiron systems with 150x SSD slots, etc. i see many labels that either say Gridiron or Violin.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
i didn't need it... damn you STH!!!! picked one up with counter offer of $129+shipping+CA tax = $210. shipping is high. i asked for one with vertical slots; hope they don't screw it up. i don't even have a motherboard or SSDs to fill it, which is going to make me spend more ... don't do it guys, it's just the start of a money pit LOL
I spent way too much on this hobby especially after frequenting STH / Great deals. So doing my part to help others get the gear they don't even know they needed :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine was originally filled with the 450GB Hitachi drives but even fully loaded it's not enough storage. I'm filling it with the 5TB Seagate drives shucked from Backup Pluses. I have 5 replaced so far. It and a LB6M are the only parts in the rack that run 24/7. Noise isn't back at all. Can't hear it in the rest of the house so all is good.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I got mine today. I have to say, even though their shipping cost was high, they did a very very nice job at packaging the server. however, even with that, the floor of the chassis was little bit bent in; which i bent back straight with my hands and it seems okay.

it is definitely a 216A backplane, and it was definitely a former GridIron systems machine; has their logo where the usual "supermicro" logo would be on the right side handle. for a 216A backplane, it came with an odd set of cables though... 5x SFF8087-to-SFF8087 cables, but the 6th cable is a SFF8087-to-SATAx4 breakout cable. From the way the cables are formed, it looks like they plugged those SATA to the motherboard, and had some other controller for the SFF8087. I'll probably need to get some SFF8087 cables to use with the setup I'm going for. The 2x PSUs are horrible 700W ancient ones that are not 80Plus at all; will need to replace those too / haven't looked at the PDB yet to see what PSUs I'll be able to fit in it. haven't powered it up yet either since i don't have a system to put in just yet.

EDIT: also going to add, in the pictures they show some systems with the inner rails attached, but mine came with no inner rails at all. not a big deal, i wasn't expecting rails, but i thought if it had inner rails, i can hunt for the outer rails and maybe save $10. also, as pictured, the fan shroud is totally missing, which probably isn't a big deal for a 2U system.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I really wish SuperMicro would make a shorter depth (20-22") version of these 2U chassis'. So hard to find good chassis' to go in my 24" deep rack.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com