[SG] [FS] Bunch of 3090 Turbos

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Trying my luck here knowing it's not really the audience.

Have a bunch of 3090 Turbos for sale that I don't want to mix into the supply of 3 fan cards that have hit the market. Hopefully these will go to someone building a multi-card DL rig.

The 2-slot turbo design is perfect for servers and were so popular that Nvidia forced the AIBs to stop producing them because they were being used in professional setups.

Cards have been very well cared for and cooled with delta fans in an AC environment.

6x 3090 Asus Turbo (2 tentatively reserved)
2x 3090 Gigabyte Turbo

Edit:

Cards are under warranty with the local distributor in Singapore with all the seals and stuff intact.

Not really sure how to price them. I guess looking around 1600SGD for 1 and less for multiple. Negotiable, especially for local deals.

Last edited:

josh

Oct 21, 2013
€1337 for a 3090 is pretty expensive if you ask me.
They're 2-slot 3090s that blow the air out of the case instead of sucking it in. Their use case is pretty specific for builds that want to stack the cards without compromising airflow.

Also somewhat rare because Nvidia banned the AIBs from producing Turbo style cards.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
These are "high density minig" gpus
I understand the stigma on the 3000 series but these 3090s weren't used for mining. They're not cost-efficient power wise, especially in Singapore. They were pulled from DL rigs and specifically sourced for their turbo airflow. They're just being sold at this time to make way for the 4090s.

Again, the target audience for the Turbo cards are niche and if you are just planning to stick a single GPU in a regular tower case then this version is not meant for you.

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
They're 2-slot 3090s that blow the air out of the case instead of sucking it in. Their use case is pretty specific for builds that want to stack the cards without compromising airflow.

Also somewhat rare because Nvidia banned the AIBs from producing Turbo style cards.
I had actually been looking for a 2 slot 3090, because one of my 40-lane Xeon systems, which might wind up using it at one point in time, has a precious x16 slot (currently holding a FusionIO drive) that a >2 slot card would cover up. But those were hard to find or only had fake offers, so I settled with a 3 slot design that at least is very quiet.

But that an Nvidia ban should be at the root of this issue, sounds extreme, if not downright anti-competitive and therefore illegal: do you have any reference or proof for that?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
But that an Nvidia ban should be at the root of this issue, sounds extreme, if not downright anti-competitive and therefore illegal: do you have any reference or proof for that?
you didn't read the eula when installing/updating nvidia drivers :D

nvidia doesn't allow "geforce" software (drivers, cuda, etc => hardware) to run in a "datacenter": https://www.servethehome.com/deeplearning11-10x-gpu-server-three-quarters-later-pricing-updates/
scroll down to eula changes

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
€1337 for a 3090 is pretty expensive if you ask me.
3090 are still holding remarkably firm in Europe, nothing like the price drops news flashes keep throwing around elsewhere. But yes, this is €100 more than the equivalent new non-blower 3 slot card I got a few weeks ago after giving up on available two slot cards with shipping and VAT included, a full warranty, full income tax deductability and a free 14 day no-questions-asked return window.

Below €1000 my resistance might have buckled anyway, but that slot is now quite literally filled :)

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
you didn't read the eula when installing/updating nvidia drivers :D

nvidia doesn't allow "geforce" software (drivers, cuda, etc => hardware) to run in a "datacenter": https://www.servethehome.com/deeplearning11-10x-gpu-server-three-quarters-later-pricing-updates/
scroll down to eula changes
EULA are works of fiction. And in the EU we have laws that invalidate most of the controls that vendors like to place on things they sell: somehow many fail to accept that a sale is a transfer of ownership, not an agreement to become an indentured servant.

We also have privacy laws lots of vendors ignore with complete impunity, because the legal system is slow to catch up.

But sometimes it does and stings a bit.

Don't see how that driver license bla bla affects the form factor or the fan technology, though.

And of course I use my consumer GPUs for machine learning (outside a data centre): without that ability, I'd have never bought any from Nvidia.
And I've learned how to get around the driver checks for GPU pass-through in hypervisors. It was faster than going to court and waiting to win.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
EULA are works of fiction. And in the EU we have laws that invalidate most of the controls that vendors like to place on things they sell: somehow many fail to accept that a sale is a transfer of ownership, not an agreement to become an indentured servant.
I would be really carefully with that (especially when running a business) ._.
Some parts of a eula can be voided in european courts (eg privacy related stuff that you mentioned), but other can bite you in the ass.
Don't see how that driver license bla bla affects the form factor or the fan technology, though.
nvidia can't ban it per se and went with something like "don't make consumer gpus for datacenters" (max 2 slots wide, fans that push the air out vs fans spreading the hot air in the chassis, power connectors on the "front side")

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022
Some parts of a eula can be voided in european courts (eg privacy related stuff that you mentioned), but other can bite you in the ass.

nvidia can't ban it per se and went with something like "don't make consumer gpus for datacenters" (max 2 slots wide, fans that push the air out vs fans spreading the hot air in the chassis, power connectors on the "front side")
Well, my personal use case is really more about operational experimentation and for production we use P100, V100 and successors anyway, simply because they pack a bigger punch and are server cooled passive variants that have no fan whatsoever.

And for non-ML use cases in HPC or engineering it was all about FP64 performance, which was both culled on consumer GPUs and risky in an environment where a bit flip could e.g. result in a bridge that would collaps: ECC support was much better than having blood on your hands.

With ML those bit flips tend to matter little and I guess it was a calculated decision by Nvidia to enable unconstrained ML support on consumer cards, if only to give the CUDA based ML ecosystem critical mass and market lead.

I don't consider myself being any meaner than vendors with their market segmentation strategies: consumers already have to put up with quite a lot of abuse.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I had actually been looking for a 2 slot 3090, because one of my 40-lane Xeon systems, which might wind up using it at one point in time, has a precious x16 slot (currently holding a FusionIO drive) that a >2 slot card would cover up. But those were hard to find or only had fake offers, so I settled with a 3 slot design that at least is very quiet.

The "ban" is explained by i386, where both Turbo models essentially went EOL a month after they were announced. Nvidia never officially made an announcement regarding the issue. You are right that there is some sort of premium on the price of my cards but I'm open to working out a more competitive rate that does not discount the scarcity of these particular models.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I highly prefer the blower style.

But, not for a 140% markup over what is available on eBay in the US right now. Sorry. Drop it to $800 or so, at this time. In another 30 days, it will be even lower.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I highly prefer the blower style.

But, not for a 140% markup over what is available on eBay in the US right now. Sorry. Drop it to $800 or so, at this time. In another 30 days, it will be even lower.
The 2011 Xeons are still being heavily used in 2022. I don't think the blower 3090s will be replaced so easily. If they come up with blower 4090s or slash the A6000s I'll eat my hat. Until then I believe these cards still will command a slight premium over their average cousins. Like I said, price is negotiable for on multiple units to save everyone the hassle but definitely not equal or under the price of the miner cards on ebay.