Setting Custom IPMI CPU Temp Thresholds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Is it possible to manually set the temperature thresholds for the CPU on SuperMicro boards (X10SDV-7TP4F)? I find that when set to a fan mode of Optimal (or even Heavy I/O) my fans don't ratchet up high enough under load until my CPU temps get well above what I'm comfortable with. I've had to set the fan mode to Full Speed in order to keep my temps from getting too high under load.

Reactions: RobertFontaine

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
It'd probably be worth trying something like this using ipmitool on a Linux of some description:
Code:
~> sudo ipmitool -H 10.1.2.3 -I lanplus -U ADMIN -P PASSWORD sensor
This will tell you your sensor names and values (current, scale, status, LNR, LC, LNC, UNC, UC, UNR).

To set, perhaps something like:
Code:
~> sudo ipmitool -H 10.1.2.3 -I lanplus -U ADMIN -P PASSWORD "CPU Temp" upper UNC UC UNR
LNC - Lower Non-Critical
LC - Lower Critical
LNR - Lower Non-Recoverable

UNC - Upper Non-Critical
UC - Upper Critical
UNR - Upper Non-Recoverable

Try dropping the numbers for Upper limits and see if it kicks fans into gear?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It'd probably be worth trying something like this using ipmitool on a Linux of some description:
Code:
~> sudo ipmitool -H 10.1.2.3 -I lanplus -U ADMIN -P PASSWORD sensor
This will tell you your sensor names and values (current, scale, status, LNR, LC, LNC, UNC, UC, UNR).

To set, perhaps something like:
Code:
~> sudo ipmitool -H 10.1.2.3 -I lanplus -U ADMIN -P PASSWORD "CPU Temp" upper UNC UC UNR
LNC - Lower Non-Critical
LC - Lower Critical
LNR - Lower Non-Recoverable

UNC - Upper Non-Critical
UC - Upper Critical
UNR - Upper Non-Recoverable

Try dropping the numbers for Upper limits and see if it kicks fans into gear?
Thanks for the reply. I had to add 'sensor thresh' in front of "CPU Temp" to get the command to work. However, while it does help a little bit it's still not quite to my satisfaction. When I set the UNC and UC temps low enough that a stress test puts the CPU above those temps, my system fans still only ramp up to about 3600RPM when they are capable of 4000RPMs. It doesn't seem like much but that extra 400RPMs makes a 3-5C difference after a few minutes.

EDIT: After further testing I've determined that the UNC, UC, and UNR temps have no bearing on my fan speeds. The fans speeds are def. linked to CPU temp I don't know where or what those temps are set to and if they are even configurable.

Last edited: