ServeTheHome - Fun DIY Projects

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea that works. I actually have one here but no time for it.

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
Patrick,

I guess this is a US-only thing?

Cause the limit of $125 is way to low in this part of the world.
This was intended to be a DIY, but still it wouldn't get me far on a HTPC setup.
And shouldn't there be any sort of criteria for what a HTPC should be able to playback too?
Let me just take an example, the Apple TV costs $99 and would fit the first budget you put up.
But in my country, the Apple TV costs $142.26 with todays exchange rate.
I guess you can figure out that $125 won't get much in the DIY department either.
And the Apple TV is the best HTPC for the price you'll get in my country. (and userfriendly too, if you put XBMC on it).

For the home-server setup.
Intel or AMD based mini-itx boards is in the same price range as the Apple TV, for the motherboard alone.
Add cpu, cooler, ram and you're looking at around $250-$300.
And what about usability of the server? It's possible to build it cheap, but that won't make it usable for anything "server" graded.
Unless you don't mind it beeeing slow or have low capacity. So what server services is it required to run to classify it as a home server?

I'm very sorry, I like the idea and the whole concept. Not meaning to be negative here!
Just wanted to point out that the budget might not be possible outside the US.
Or I might just put the bar too high? Missing the point in some way with how good the hardware needs to be.

The raspberry and other "very lowtech" things - are they really worth donating to charity?
Would they find it usefull? Or frustrating to use? Compared to a full setup? Or do they take/need anything?
I really don't know, so I'm asking.
What about asking a charity what they would want/need, then make a contest out of building it cheapest/best.
And maybe crowdfund it here at the forum?

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I can think of quite a few scenarios where you do not want network connectivity, or atleast no strings attached. Something RC for example. It uses less power which gives more headroom for other stuff, as i believe the power draw from the pi itself can't exceed a couple hundred ma's?

I still want to do a quadcopter, pi or some ARM based board with a camera and wifi. Put an amped wifi AP on the roof and see how far we get haha. Just like the iphone helicopters but slightly upscaled. :cool:

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
i'd understand the RC/ DIY drone thing. A wifi card will almost double the cost tho.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Heads-up I will likely resurrect this idea Monday. Budget up to $150-$200/ build. Let me know if interested.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
you can have my boat anchor dl380 g5 - it is a hoss - dual e5440 - 32gb of fiery hot FB-dimm (very expensive if you had to buy hp branded!) - p812 - might even have some wicked awesome 15K 146gb drives (nobody wants 146gb). Heck I tried to give away 12 146gb 3.5" (fast!) 15K SAS drives and never got a bite. would need a jbod to hold them down or they would torque themselves away.