ServeTheHome 2013 Architecture Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not looking good for fitting into 5A.

307w at idle and the switch is running at 16.6w.

Was going to do max load testing using Folding@Home so I'm installing Ubunu Server 12.10 x4. Makes me appreciate MAAS and Juju

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Update:

I think this is the answer. May have to reload if you do not see the power table in the image.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The next question though is whether it would make sense to just do software firewall/ router and add NICs to the physical machines.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Do you mean like a VM with Vyatta or Pfsense?

Honestly, I am sure its perfectly safe, but for whatever reason virtualizing your security on the same hardware as production has always made me uncomfortable.

Before the tin foil hat people chime in
DISCLAIMER: Yes I realize that hypervisors are just software and like all software it can contain vulnerabilities and potentially expose other vms on the same hardware, but I think that it is very unlikely to occur and even less likely to be discovered.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Use the real router-firewall config as shown. Setting it up on ESXi might be fun, but in the long run you'll be happier with a stable network environment underneath the VMs. Keeping the functions separate will make it much simpler to maintain - problems with your ESXi won't impact the network configs, the functions upgrade independently, etc.

Last thing you want is to end up needing to upgrade something on the server, discover its dependent on ESXi release foo, but your firewall software faults when running foo as the hypervisor.

All this is even more important since you will be in the valley and all your equipment will be living the high-life in Vegas Baby! You really want to ensure your remote access is rock solid and independent of the rest of the equipment in the colo.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks nitrobass24 and PigLover.

I think you are probably correct on this architecture idea. The only way I would even consider this is if I could do some kind of HA setup where at least two of the servers were running it.

I do need to simplify this.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I agree with PigLover, having a known stable way to get to the network when something goes afoul is better.

Are you going to run Active-Active and deal with load balancing on any of the layers, firewall or web server?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I agree with PigLover, having a known stable way to get to the network when something goes afoul is better.

Are you going to run Active-Active and deal with load balancing on any of the layers, firewall or web server?
That is likely the case. I ordered a Fortinet Fortigate 60C to run as the firewall/ VPN. Going to try it out and possibly buy a second one for HA.

On the software side... still a BIG question. OpenStack, Eucalyptus, OnApp, Proxmox VE all possibilities at this point.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well dont waste your time with Openstack. Too complicated to setup IMO.

What are you thinking regarding SAN and Mgt Server?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Are you going to do VM for everything? Maybe a 2 node cluster with the web nodes and a VM for each of the sites?

Also, after I read the firewall thread, you could do a single Fortinet and then virtualize a secondary. It wont get you much in the way of load balancing, but might help you separate web from management. You probably don't *need* another NIC, put external on a VLAN on the switch and trunk to the vSwitch.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well dont waste your time with Openstack. Too complicated to setup IMO.

What are you thinking regarding SAN and Mgt Server?
Thanks re: OpenStack. Was also thinking about StackOps with that route, but enterprise is the HA version.

Not 100% sure I'm going that route on the SAN side.

Cactus - that is very much what I'm thinking. Just make everything into VMs.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks re: OpenStack. Was also thinking about StackOps with that route, but enterprise is the HA version.

Not 100% sure I'm going that route on the SAN side.

Cactus - that is very much what I'm thinking. Just make everything into VMs.
New thread time? No colocation or cluster forum for it tho.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe a good idea. Updated graphic to reflect lower power.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Added 192GB of DDR3 RDIMMs yesterday. Kinda fun to see:

Another major architectural change may be adding a second C6100 so that each chassis can hold a node with a single L5520. Comes down to the fact that this would be very inexpensive to just spin up compared to new Atom based machines which will cost $900+. Also, the L5520 v. the Atom D525 is a big difference performance wise.