Server or Chassis for SAS and Sata with screw less design?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Hey All,

We have to test a large number of HDD's on a regular basis before they go into production. Is anyone aware of a 12, 24, or greater 3.5" and/or 2.5" chassis where we can just "drop" the HDD's in and not deal with screwing them into a sled?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Not sure on their quality or cost but AIC uses a tray that is a snapin format (it has screw holes if you need to secure them better):
Their list of tool less chassis are here:PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC

Specifically per your request though:
24 bay 2.5" - PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC
24 bay 3.5"- PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC
36 bay 3.5"- PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC

Michael Hall

Oct 9, 2015
I've got a surplus Backblaze Pod 1.0 case. They're top-loading, 45-bay, and the drives just drop in, with rubber bands around them to stop them vibrating. They use 5-port SATA port multiplier backplanes, so need compatible (non-Intel) SATA controllers. I can't remember if I've got a full set of backplanes and controllers, but I can check. PM if you're interested.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
We have at work for sata 3.5 devices adapters like these:

For 2.5" sas/sata devices I would get a supermicro chasis for 3.5" hdds and use trays with the part# MCP-220-00118-0B: