Selling large quantities on eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I'm giving some thought to selling this massive pile of HDDs I have and building a small SSD array instead. I figure if I price the drives right, I should be able to unload them rather quickly. However, I've never sold in bulk on eBay before, and Craigslist is a shithole. Anything I should watch out for?

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
I would suggest trying to sell them on here first as people are always looking for hdds (at least I am) and you don't have to deal with ebay seller fees :)

On ebay, just make sure to take into account seller's fees and shipping fees. Always buy signature confirmation with shipping and if possible take a picture of the lot of hdds if possible before shipping. You are much more protected as seller that way.

Depending on the status of the hdds you may have to sell some of them "as is" unless you want to retest all of them to make sure they work. Or at least state in your listing that not all of the hdds were tested or were last known to be working. If you have SMART info that could help your listing as well.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I would suggest trying to sell them on here first as people are always looking for hdds and you don't have to deal with ebay seller fees :)

On ebay, just make sure to take into account seller's fees and shipping fees. Always buy signature confirmation with shipping and if possible take a picture of the lot of hdds if possible before shipping. You are much more protected as a buyer that way.

Depending on the status of the hdds you may have to sell some of them "as is" unless you want to retest all of them to make sure they work. Or at least state in your listing that not all of the hdds were tested or were last known to be working.

Hope that helps!
All of the drives passed a SMART long test, which I planned on mentioning in the ad. I want nothing to do with returns or refunds in any way, shape, or form. Anything I can do to avoid paypal would make me super happy. I'll have individual SMART data for each disk, so the folks here can choose which one they want. I won't be able to sell any of them until I get the data off, though.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
All of the drives passed a SMART long test, which I planned on mentioning in the ad. I want nothing to do with returns or refunds in any way, shape, or form. Anything I can do to avoid paypal would make me super happy. I'll have individual SMART data for each disk, so the folks here can choose which one they want. I won't be able to sell any of them until I get the data off, though.
Your drives definitely become more desirable if you already have all the SMART data and model numbers available. Ebay and Paypal are intricately linked so you will be payed via Paypal unfortunately. And both ebay and Paypal take a cut of your sale. Search Google for an "ebay fee calculator". The link to "newlifeauctions" is pretty accurate to get an estimate of the fees you'd have to pay.

For that reason I'd say to try to sell the drives on here first and/or try "reddit.com/r/hardwareswap" as well to avoid all the fees and not having to worry about returns.

I may be interested in a few drives depending on their size and price btw :)

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I may be interested in a few drives depending on their size and price btw :)
Drive pricing is another thing I'd like to ask about. They seem to be going for $75 a pop on eBay for the 2TB SAS drives and about $50 a pop for the 3TB SATA drives. I want to move them quick, so what prices would be good?

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Linked for the next few months from what I've read on WSJ.
Even though Paypal and Ebay does that mean that Ebay will stop using Paypal for purchases? I just can't see them moving away from that platform since they have been using Paypal for so long.

Drive pricing is another thing I'd like to ask about. They seem to be going for $75 a pop on eBay for the 2TB SAS drives and about $50 a pop for the 3TB SATA drives. I want to move them quick, so what prices would be good?
Looking at ebay posts and through slickdeals forums, I try to stick to below ~$25 per TB on new SATA drives. For example, a current slickdeals frontpage deal (5TB Samsung D3 Station USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $125 + Free Shipping - Newegg Deals, Coupons and Promos) is $25 per TB for an external drive that actually has a 5TB Seagate 5900rpm NAS drive inside and can be taken out of the enclosure and put inside a computer like normal. For used drives I've found 3TB in the same range you have listed: between $40 and $85 in some cases depending on the quality of the drive and how much usage it had on it.

SAS drives I'm not too sure on the pricing but I think generally they are more expensive.

Last edited:

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Do you think $70/drive for the SAS and $45/drive for the SATA would be good prices, then? What about bulk discounts? I want to get rid of all my drives. I don't want to be sitting on a few that're hard to sell. I had that issue back when I was on 1TB drives. I've STILL got one of those sitting in my house. Couldn't give the damned thing away on Craigslist.

Edit: What do you think about "$2500 for all 48x SAS drives, shipping included"? Would that make it a good enough deal for bulk? That'd put it at $25/TB like the SATA drives are...

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
IMHO selling 48 at once vs an auction with 48 available will be MUCH longer to find that "right" buyer unless they're DIRT cheap.

Maybe I missed it but how are we supposed to provide pricing feedback without:
- Drive Make / Model
- Drive Year manufacture
- Warranty left yes/no

I may be interested in that 1 old 1TB you can't get rid of :) And potentially 2 of your SATA drives depending on make/model.

Also, in my experience SAS drives (SSD or HD) sit much longer on forums and ebay due to much smaller audience. Although priced cheap they may move quick for someone replacing a handful, etc...

If you don't have an ebay store I think you're looking at around 13% fees between ebay and paypal. I haven't checked in a while, but it's stupid fees.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Maybe I missed it but how are we supposed to provide pricing feedback without:
- Drive Make / Model
- Drive Year manufacture
- Warranty left yes/no
Here's an example, and I doubt there's a warranty available.
Code:
[root@nas ~]# smartctl -a /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-123.20.1.el7.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               SEAGATE
Product:              ST32000444SS
Revision:             0006
User Capacity:        2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000c50034f36cff
Serial number:        9WM7HG4T000091520TV2
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS
Local Time is:        Tue Mar 31 13:46:18 2015 MDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     38 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C

Manufactured in week 35 of year 2011
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  10000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  164
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  300000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  164
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 1468999264
  Blocks received from initiator = 746323156
  Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 3238403234
  Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 102685610
  Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 66

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
  number of hours powered up = 4832.18
  number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 49

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:   1316895288        2         0  1316895290   1316895290      33737.476           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0       2598.697           0

Non-medium error count:        9

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed                   -       5                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -       0                 - [-   -    -]
Long (extended) Self Test duration: 18500 seconds [308.3 minutes]
Sucks that I'll have to split the drives. That means a lot more travel to the Post Office.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Here's an example, and I doubt there's a warranty available.
Code:
[root@backup ~]# smartctl -a /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-123.20.1.el7.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               SEAGATE
Product:              ST32000444SS
Revision:             0006
User Capacity:        2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000c50034f447c7
Serial number:        9WM7HB9P00009206NLHU
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS
Local Time is:        Tue Mar 31 13:40:54 2015 MDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     47 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        68 C

Manufactured in week 36 of year 2011
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  10000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  204
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  300000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  204
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 1942357339
  Blocks received from initiator = 2574099760
  Blocks read from cache and sent to initiator = 346942994
  Number of read and write commands whose size <= segment size = 58904391
  Number of read and write commands whose size > segment size = 6

Vendor (Seagate/Hitachi) factory information
  number of hours powered up = 7681.37
  number of minutes until next internal SMART test = 49

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:   586062899        1         0  586062900   586062900      33979.836           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0       3525.116           0

Non-medium error count:        0

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed                   -    2750                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -    2743                 - [-   -    -]
Long (extended) Self Test duration: 18500 seconds [308.3 minutes]
Sucks that I'll have to split the drives. That means a lot more travel to the Post Office.
Stamps.com - Buy Postage Online, Print USPS Stamps and Shipping Labels Trial account. They even give you free postage.
After you're FREE month is almost up, call them to cancel but tell them you're not too sure, and they'll give you another month free.

$30 on amazon for a scale and weight to calibrate, and you're good to print, and mail from home. or prep, and drop off at PO.

If you want to step it up again you could get a $100 Dymo label printer and it will print flat rate stamps adn other basics free, just labeler and label cost.

Anyway, I'm interested in 2 for testing and your old 1TB shoot me a PM when you decide if you're selling 1 by 1 or goign to try to sell ALL at once. :)

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Stamps.com - Buy Postage Online, Print USPS Stamps and Shipping Labels Trial account. They even give you free postage.
After you're FREE month is almost up, call them to cancel but tell them you're not too sure, and they'll give you another month free.

$30 on amazon for a scale and weight to calibrate, and you're good to print, and mail from home. or prep, and drop off at PO.

If you want to step it up again you could get a $100 Dymo label printer and it will print flat rate stamps adn other basics free, just labeler and label cost.

Anyway, I'm interested in 2 for testing and your old 1TB shoot me a PM when you decide if you're selling 1 by 1 or goign to try to sell ALL at once. :)
It'll be a little while. I'm still not certain I'm going to do it. It'd be nice to have SSDs all over the place, but at $0.30/GB, they're still not priced low enough for me to replace my drives with half-capacity drives. If I sold everything I have, I'd still need another $2500... And I wouldn't have a backup for the data.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I decided to keep the 2TB SAS drives because they have blue blinky lights, and I do so love my lights.

29x 3TB Seagates are up for sale.

Reactions: TubaMT