1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self hosted Zimbra Mail Server - looking for other options

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by leonroy, Dec 6, 2017.

1. leonroy

leonroy New Member

Been using Zimbra mail server for many years, but think it's finally time to move on. The product's getting creaky and it's clear there's not a lot of development going into it.

We have a Synology Rackstation and we know our way around Windows Server.

Anyone have any recommendations on email software? Synology apparently have one. Of course Microsoft have a good one too. What's the go to for good quality, self-hosted email software these days?

2. _alex

_alex Active Member

depends what features and level of support you need.
    iredmail seems to be quite good to handle without too much cli involved.

3. herby

herby Member

I've run iredmail at home since 2013 and it works fine for me, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to administer in production for a bunch of users; I only have a handful myself.

It seems to be updated fairly frequently, but patching it can be a little annoying. To patch you're kind of following a checklist of packages to update and config files and databases to edit. If you get behind by a few "releases" it can suck to catch up.

The initial install on the other hand is quite simple if you aren't getting fancy. For the vanilla install you run through a simple install wizard and then a have few config files to edit for your certs and what not.

For me it's an easy way to install a Postfix, Dovecot, Roundcube and some web server and database without worrying about messing it up.

4. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Biggest issue with self hosted is all the spam filtering etc, maybe you can keep it simply and front end the synology email with an external filtering product ? (Having sail that it’s not super effective)

O365 seems to be the best value for money if you use MS office and you get some sharepoint etc to use for collaboration.

5. _alex

_alex Active Member

For filtering sophos utm can be integrated in front.

6. dswartz

dswartz Member

I'm using postfix+debian+rspamd on a debian 8 host. Webmail using roundcube+bitnami lampstack.

7. _alex

_alex Active Member

i also run postfix + dovecot in a customized environment, backed by ldap, with mimedefang that does some magic, amavis and a utm for filtering/tagging.
    but guess the op doesn't want to keep such a thing up and running.

can rspamd be integrated with ldap, for i.e. decide by recipients/recipient domain on the spam-action and also thresholds for the scores?

8. dswartz

dswartz Member

that i'm not sure about. you'd have to look around on the rspamd site. i seem to recall seeing per-user stuff...

9. _alex

_alex Active Member

just had a look, looks like there is no native ldap support for per-user settings :(
    maybe via lua, but think i don't want this - who knows if this will ever work ...