Samsung PM983a M.2 22110 SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 1.88TB - open box - $125 OBO + free ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scienceplease

Oct 31, 2021
in the end i got 2 toshiba's and 2 samsungs.
I've done full disk write test on it, they appear to be new; it would take few months to kill them with writes to verify if they were ever used.
Additionally i've looked up similar nvme's on ebay and seem the prices are only bit higher - not in significant way.

The samsung gets so god damn hot - heatsink in picture struggles under load. (single 80mm noctua at 2000rpm blows on pcie slots).
View attachment 25711
A faster 4-12k fan should be used instead to keep it down with that heatsink for 24x7 load.

(green is samsung / cyan is toshiba)
View attachment 25712
Are the capacitors on the 983a the same height as the NAND and controller chips? Wondering if anyone had to "shim" thermal pads in various places to get heatsinks mounted.

Also curious if anyone thinks it would be sufficient just to put a heatsink on the controller and leave the NAND chips bare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Are the capacitors on the 983a the same height as the NAND and controller chips? Wondering if anyone had to "shim" thermal pads in various places to get heatsinks mounted.

Also curious if anyone thinks it would be sufficient just to put a heatsink on the controller and leave the NAND chips bare.
they were same height

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
after applying thermal strip / paste it matters not. (The whole thing overheats like crazy in my case - but its also under lot of stress as l2arc)

Reactions: Samir