Samsung PM983a M.2 22110 SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 1.88TB - open box - $125 OBO + free ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aclysma

Nov 10, 2022
Ah ok, I had them on an asus hyper m.2 x16 gen 4, and my workload was high iops, moderate bandwidth (foundationdb).

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
I do not recommend buying from this seller. I ordered 6 PM983a SSDs for a project, and I received 5x PM983 (non-A) and 1x PM983a SSDs. After initiating a refund under the Ebay Money Back Guarantee for items not being as described, I shipped the 5 PM983 drives back. Upon receipt of the drives the seller claims because I powered on the drive (I tried to get the PM983 to work to avoid having to return all of these) that he will only give me a partial refund for that SSD. (No data written or even formatted, just a couple power-on counts)

Overall not a pleasant experience and now I have to hope Ebay sides with me and not his wild version of the story about how 3 Power-on counts make the product not-new.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I do not recommend buying from this seller. I ordered 6 PM983a SSDs for a project, and I received 5x PM983 (non-A) and 1x PM983a SSDs. After initiating a refund under the Ebay Money Back Guarantee for items not being as described, I shipped the 5 PM983 drives back. Upon receipt of the drives the seller claims because I powered on the drive (I tried to get the PM983 to work to avoid having to return all of these) that he will only give me a partial refund for that SSD. (No data written or even formatted, just a couple power-on counts)

Overall not a pleasant experience and now I have to hope Ebay sides with me and not his wild version of the story about how 3 Power-on counts make the product not-new.
Which eBay seller?

Reactions: Samir

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
Oh, geez. Timely post. I was about to buy 50 LOL
Yeah, I wouldn't. No TBW, apparently 3 power on hours and power-on count being 8 means to him that I must have used the drive for 3 hours. (How exactly do I use a drive that hasn't been written to?)

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Yeah, I wouldn't. No TBW, apparently 3 power on hours and power-on count being 8 means to him that I must have used the drive for 3 hours. (How exactly do I use a drive that hasn't been written to?)
He replied:
Check my post about those SSD on eBay…They are PM983… the buyer about you talk bought 6 SSD, he claim they are not PM983a. I accepted the returm because it was my mistake but one of the SSd was used for 3 hour and was turned on 8 times, even so the buyer ask for total refund
Looks like he's selling PM983 now? Did you buy from the PM983 listing or PM983a?

Edit: that's... confusing. The listing shows a picture of a PM983a but says PM983. I think eBay will side with you there due to not being as described.

Edit2: I was under the impression we were negotiating for PM983a drives and he just let loose that they're PM983 without ever disclosing it. Thanks for saving my butt!

Last edited:

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
I purchased from the PM983a listing. Also the "he claim"...really? I can do more than claim...

He's also conveniently leaving out the fact that all the SSDs he sent to me (in the SMART data he messaged to me when I first purchased the drives) had already been powered on 2 times. I included both SMART readouts sent from the seller. (Link above)

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
He replied:

Looks like he's selling PM983 now? Did you buy from the PM983 listing or PM983a?

Edit: that's... confusing. The listing shows a picture of a PM983a but says PM983. I think eBay will side with you there due to not being as described.

Edit2: I was under the impression we were negotiating for PM983a drives and he just let loose that they're PM983 without ever disclosing it. Thanks for saving my butt!
So it appears he changed the listing from PM983a to PM983. Ebay still has the original listing saved so hopefully they'll see that.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
So it appears he changed the listing from PM983a to PM983. Ebay still has the original listing saved so hopefully they'll see that.
The picture is still a PM983a. His refusal to fully refund because there are a couple hours on it is ridiculous. eBay will almost certainly side in your favor.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Id expect eBay to clearly side with buyer on that also yeah, its very common for sellers to drop the a in titles and picture should be correct.
If picture of 983a used it will be what should be delivered.

in a bit of a hurry bought some overpriced 100gbe nic mounting adapters that had card in pic/title and but adapter partnumber.
They were priced closer to cards than just adapters so based on pic eBay asked seller to ship correct item instead of adapters.

They also tend to come down hard on those listing just boxes maliciously now, ship the content or get banned.

• Wow

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Id expect eBay to clearly side with buyer on that also yeah, its very common for sellers to drop the a in titles and picture should be correct.

in a bit of a hurry bought some overpriced 100gbe nic mounting adapters that had card in pic/title and but adapter partnumber.
They were priced closer to cards than just adapters so based on pic eBay asked seller to ship correct item instead of adapters.

They also tend to come down hard on those listing just boxes maliciously now, ship the content or get banned.
I've almost fell for the mounting bracket trick, as you said, price was within 30-40USD of the complete cards.. (cx6)

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Ahhh...as I walk through the ebay of shadowy deals, I will fear no evil, for your guaranty is with me; your protection and staff--they comfort me. :D

It's because of this type of stuff that the nickname is fleabay, and rightfully so.

• Haha
Reactions: abq and zac1

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Ahhh...as I walk through the ebay of shadowy deals, I will fear no evil, for your guaranty is with me; your protection and staff--they comfort me. :D

It's because of this type of stuff that the nickname is fleabay, and rightfully so.
For being American and how bad they used to be ebay is starting to feel pretty decent when it comes to not just siding with one party across the board.

Ive had maybe 30 cases go to ebay the last year and its all been resolved in a way im happy with.
The ones with massive shipping damage to 700-2300$ servers in global shipping program have been full refunds without having to return anything.

Especialy the 2300$ box was a somewhat positive suprise that ebay themself closed/refunded with only pictures of how bad the damage was, expected having to book return freight to return that one due to parts value in it.
(Tho i buy both for homelab and small business of resale on same account, so not sure how much my order volume effects the outcomes)