EU Samsung DDR3-1600 16GB ECC/REG EUR 35 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
sry guys, but all Dimm are already reserved for a project.

The one you got are quad ranked modules. AFAIK Xeon CPU's can only handle 8 internal banks within one channel. So the max number of DIMM's per channal is limited to two. I would like to populate all three slots with modules, so I am bound to dual or single ranked modules.
that not right @dtrv you can populate all dimm slots with quadrank modules, but the bus speed goes down to 800Mhz . // OK it was Misunderstanding on my part

check this will help : http://theor.jinr.ru/guide/theor2/X9_DP_memory_config.pdf

Last edited:

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
In the document you cited: "A maximum of 8 logical ranks per channel is allowed." (page 2, third bullet)

That means if you have quad ranked modules, the max number of ranks allowed per channel is reached with two of them.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
yes thats right, and the xeons have quad channel ! ((8 logical ranks) = 2 * quad rank ) x 4 (quad channel CPU)

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
The one you got are quad ranked modules. AFAIK Xeon CPU's can only handle 8 internal banks within one channel. So the max number of DIMM's per channal is limited to two. I would like to populate all three slots with modules, so I am bound to dual or single ranked modules.

Maybe @zeynel has one left over?l :)
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. ;) I'm getting a dell c6220 with a pair of e5-2650's so 128gb will be a good cpu/mem balance.