SAMSUND 2 TB SSD's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Too bad they're not "Mainstream" enough to drop the price a lot lot lot more :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
They are pretty much the same list price/Gb as the 1tb 850s street price (meaning $treet on these will be a bit lower soon). Also, why drop the price when they are the only girls at the party? Others will join in later this year and the next round of price cuts will follow before year end.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
After the numerous (and seemingly fundamental) problems with their TLC I'd be steering well clear of the 850 Evo until the dust has settled...

...that said I've been waiting for affordable 2TB SSDs to come out for years and hopefully these'll be down to merely the cost of 2x1TB drives within six months or so.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Shame that we're still stuck with SATA for these things for the most part. That's ultimately their bottleneck.
SATA SSD = the new HD tier.

HD = backup/ archive
SATA SSD = mass storage
SAS SSD = HA mass storage
PCIe SSD = fast
More exotic than PCIe SSD = too expensive but cool tech now.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I'm not a big fan of consumer Samsung SATA drives, but this is a much needed step to introduce competition and bring down prices.

Reactions: T_Minus

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I'm not a big fan of consumer Samsung SATA drives, but this is a much needed step to introduce competition and bring down prices.
I've had my share of issues with SSD drives but not very frequently with Samsung drives. I'm curious why you're not a fan? Issues with the Linux/Trim stuff or?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I've had my share of issues with SSD drives but not very frequently with Samsung drives. I'm curious why you're not a fan? Issues with the Linux/Trim stuff or?
Their endless firmware fix updates, and Linix trim problems.

To compare, I've had consumer Intel drives in use with no issues

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ditto that my G2 Intel is going strong, but in consumer setting my Samsung 840 Pro was mighty awesome, was the 1st SSD I got on release day I wasn't upset :D I did go back to a Crucial M4 and barely noticed though, so take that fwiw. The jump to m2 lil better than the 840P boost over the m4 as far as feeling goes, not benchs or sequentials.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
@neo That does make sense. I personally experienced the hell of the 320 series but so far the replacement drives they sent, with 1 exception are still working well. Only have had 5 of the 200+ Samsungs I have even experience a glitch let alone failure. That said, I don't use Linux on them and that issue is a pretty jacked situation! I'm buying S3700s for all my servers going forward though. Freaking LSI issues were a pain to deal with but I have worked that out for now (I think). Now Crucial drives - I've had sucky performance issues with those and a couple back to back failures on M4's so I don't buy those anymore at all. I say this while typing on a laptop that has an M4 in it. HA! 2TB S3710's at a lower price point are what I want!

Reactions: neo