ryzen 2700u vs old opteron 4365EE as home router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
I have an old dual Opteron 8-core 4365EE and a Ryzen 2700u laptop motherboard that I'm debating using one or the other as a home router.

I want to wrap all of my traffic (3-5+ people) in a VPN connection and plan on using this for other basic things (file server, pi hole type arrangement etc) but I'm debating whether I can get away with just using my old/cheap Opteron or if the Ryzen 2700u would be the better route. The difference would be that the Opteron system would be able to have vastly more RAM (like 256G or more) as I have that amount laying around for it to use.

I know the Opteron(s) would use tons more power (like 100w+ vs maybe 15w for the 2700u) but I just wonder how much of a performance difference there would be between the two. I can cut the power consumption of the Opteron way down with pstates but there is obviously a performance hit.

Also would there be security considerations between the two CPU's? Meaning would an old Opteron somehow be less secure than a Ryzen 2700u laptop CPU?

Thanks