Running Supermicro Chassis with single power supply?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
I'm interested in getting a supermicro cse216 server chassis but really have no need for redundant power supplies. I can deal with a little downtime. If I buy a used chassis that was configured to be redundant, will it run just fine (without warnings, errors, degradation, etc) on a single power supply? Thanks!

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
No problem, but you have to pull the second power supply.
If both are plugged but only one is connected to ac there will be an acoustic warning.

Reactions: i386

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
It's possible, of course. If you don't need that redundancy, e.g. in home environments where it isn't really necessary, you can save 10-15W by running just one power supply.

Supermicro actually even has a dummy cover for such a scenario (Part # CSE-PT0130L). I use that for my homeserver in combination with just one PWS-920P-SQ PSU.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm interested in getting a supermicro cse216 server chassis but really have no need for redundant power supplies. I can deal with a little downtime. If I buy a used chassis that was configured to be redundant, will it run just fine (without warnings, errors, degradation, etc) on a single power supply? Thanks!
You'll be fine with 1 psu

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
wow, i wouldn't spend anything for the covers, as @T_Minus said having a psu in the empty slot not plugged is also fine. Most servers come with either no psu or both anyway.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I'm running a single PSU setup on a couple of SM units....cheaper way around the blanks was just leaving the 2nd PSU's 1/2 seated. Works well unless your in earthquake country.

Reactions: Bert

Lschapker

Sep 2, 2023
Sorry to reply to a 6+ year old thread, but I had to say "THANK YOU!!!" for providing the part number for the "block off" plate for the extra Power Supply. I've been searching the net for about 45 minutes and was about to give up.

You folks are the greatest!!!

Last edited: