Rosewill RSV-L4000 Build and Large Tower CPU Cooler

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Philbar715

Feb 14, 2015
Just thought I would share my build using a RSV-L4000. I searched for the best/largest tower type cooler that would fit in a 4U case, so I figured I would share my findings.

I did most of this on a budget, got the board and CPU off of Ebay used. Got the case locally off of Craigslist for $5 new (yes, five dollars).

Specs:
Case: Roswill RSV-L4000
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe Dual
CPU: Xeon E3-1230 V3
RAM: 10GB DDR3 (generic HP RAM, 1333MHZ)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X with Dual Corsair Airflow Series PWM fans
Storage: Two Seagate 3TB Barricuda 3.5" drives, One WD RED 3TB, Two 500GB WD Blue Drives, Two 2.5" 750GB Hitachi Drives, Crucial M4 120GB SSD for OS
Rosewill Hotswap HDD Cages With Corsair Air Flow PWM Fans
Corsair 450M Modular Gold Rated PSU

Anyways on to the Pics.

Delidded E3

Cooler and fans mounted on board with CPU

Moment of truth, the case lid barely slides over the heatpipes. Not a mm to spare. From this angle it looks like they touch but they dont.

And thats it, any questions just ask!

Reactions: Jeggs101

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
1. What is the significance of the white horse?
2. What temps do you see on the E3-1230? Did you compare to an Intel stock cooler?
3. Any idea how much power the fans are using each?

I'd almost think you could passively cool the E3-1230 with that giant heatsink and the exhaust fans from the drive cages.

Philbar715

Feb 14, 2015
1. What is the significance of the white horse?
2. What temps do you see on the E3-1230? Did you compare to an Intel stock cooler?
3. Any idea how much power the fans are using each?

I'd almost think you could passively cool the E3-1230 with that giant heatsink and the exhaust fans from the drive cages.
1: White Horse is a family heirloom
2: See below screenshot (ambient temps are about 70F). Stock intel cooler idled about 45C and with medium load (transcoding with plex) it would shoot up to about 60-70C. (that was also before delid)

3: The fans are rated at 12V at 0.25A (max speed) so about ~3W a piece. They are the PWM version and I keep them spun down (700RPM) most of the time. But when the CPU temp hits about 45C I have them set to spin at 100%. They really move a huge amount of air.

Also this is what my idle temps look like:

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
"But when the CPU temp hits about 45C I have them set to spin at 100%."

WHY?!?!

Why would you want your fans at 100% at only 45*C load that makes to me, my servers see that temp OFTEN for long periods it's not going to kill them.

IIRC the TJMAX for a E3 v3 series is in the 90*C that's NOT when it throttles even btw.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
By the way, I got the hot swap version of that case coming... rather excited it looks to be a great case. Can you tell me how much clearance you have between the motherboard HSF mounting screws and top of case? I may have to swap to this case for another project if I can fit the 6.5" NOCTUA cooler I want for that project. For the current it's a dual E5 so I'm just running SM 4U HSF, which are tiny comparatively.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Just thought I would share my build using a RSV-L4000. I searched for the best/largest tower type cooler that would fit in a 4U case, so I figured I would share my findings.

I did most of this on a budget, got the board and CPU off of Ebay used. Got the case locally off of Craigslist for $5 new (yes, five dollars).

Specs:
Storage: Two Seagate 3TB Barricuda 3.5" drives, One WD RED 3TB, Two 500GB WD Blue Drives, Two 2.5" 750GB Hitachi Drives, Crucial M4 120GB SSD for OS

Anyways on to the Pics.

Delidded E3

Moment of truth, the case lid barely slides over the heatpipes. Not a mm to spare. From this angle it looks like they touch but they dont.

Your photographs are fantastic. They show just how big that cooler is in relation to everything else.

Regarding the de-lidding: I understand the grey material is thermal paste, but what is the black stuff around the perimeter? Was that some kind of adhesive holding it in place? Looks like it would have taken a lot of bravery to de-lid it. Any particular tips on how to do that?

Also, does having such a seemingly big and heavy cooler assembly limit you to having the motherboard only in the horizontal position afterward? If you turned the motherboard vertical (as would be natural with most tower computers like you have), I might worry about the weight of that beast, and whether it would remain attached or not.

Philbar715

Feb 14, 2015
By the way, I got the hot swap version of that case coming... rather excited it looks to be a great case. Can you tell me how much clearance you have between the motherboard HSF mounting screws and top of case? I may have to swap to this case for another project if I can fit the 6.5" NOCTUA cooler I want for that project. For the current it's a dual E5 so I'm just running SM 4U HSF, which are tiny comparatively.
From the CPU to the lid of the case, there is about 148-150MM of clearance. The cooler I have is exactly 150MM.

"But when the CPU temp hits about 45C I have them set to spin at 100%."

WHY?!?!

Why would you want your fans at 100% at only 45*C load that makes to me, my servers see that temp OFTEN for long periods it's not going to kill them.

IIRC the TJMAX for a E3 v3 series is in the 90*C that's NOT when it throttles even btw.
My server is idiling for about 95% of its time. It only hosts two VMs, one for AD/DNS/VPN and one for Minecraft. and The host OS itself streams plex media across my devices. Most of the time it never goes above 40C. But I like keeping the temps super cool, keeps the air flowing out the back cool.

The chipset and motherboard do get very hot under load, so that is why I have set fan profile so aggressively.

Your photographs are fantastic. They show just how big that cooler is in relation to everything else.

Regarding the de-lidding: I understand the grey material is thermal paste, but what is the black stuff around the perimeter? Was that some kind of adhesive holding it in place? Looks like it would have taken a lot of bravery to de-lid it. Any particular tips on how to do that?

Also, does having such a seemingly big and heavy cooler assembly limit you to having the motherboard only in the horizontal position afterward? If you turned the motherboard vertical (as would be natural with most tower computers like you have), I might worry about the weight of that beast, and whether it would remain attached or not.
Deliding allows you to remove the stock paste they use between the die and the Heat spreader and replace it with something that conducts heat far better. I used a liquid metal like compound between the die and heatspreader.

The black stuff is an adhesive that keeps the lid on the die securely.

This link gives some good info on delidding

Deliding a 4770K (Haswell). Improving temperatures and maximizing overclockablity.

The cooler really isn't that heavy at all, and it has a good backplate on the back of the motherboard so it does not flex it when its in a vertical position.

Dxun

Oct 10, 2015

Specs:

Anyways on to the Pics.

Delidded E3

I am also facing the same dillema with same chassis so it would be great if we could:
a) get the pics back online
b) be more specific with the CPU cooler; as it is, it isn't very useful: there are 5 models of CNPS10X tower coolers with 3 different heights: 151, 152 and 160 mm. Most likely you used the Flex model (with two fan support) but as there are no pics, there is no way to tell.

On a separate note, as someone who has 0 experience with rackmount chassis, I am surprised we even have to worry about such things on 4U - I thought that was a standard height and we should easily fit cooler towers up to 160 mm? For example, my current case is a $40 Fractal Design Core 1000 with 175 mm height. It fits a 159 mm cooler just right. Why are these cases different?