"Renewed" 14TB for $119.00 on AMZ (DC HC530)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
HD Sentinel has reported incorrect life left for me too, the manufactures tool reported actual life, and is what should be used if available.

Reactions: Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
ebay seller serverpartsdeal ... buyers beware!
I bought 10 of this HGST/WD Ultrastar SSD800MM 800GB SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise SSD HUSMM8080ASS200 | eBay
They were advertised at 99% health!
Nope, all the drives were 74-76%
bad news is your treatment, and deceitful behavior. I'm back and forth buying some 16tb spinners from SPD right now.

good news is that the HUSMM have an awful lot of life left even at 74% and they are MLC drives to boot. Unless you are mining chia with them they may well outlast your use for them!

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
bad news is your treatment, and deceitful behavior. I'm back and forth buying some 16tb spinners from SPD right now.

good news is that the HUSMM have an awful lot of life left even at 74% and they are MLC drives to boot. Unless you are mining chia with them they may well outlast your use for them!
I agree that HUSMM are tanks.
But when SPD advertises a drive at 99% health & 105TBW and you measure health at 74% & Gigabytes processed [10^9 bytes] write 3039552

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
I got one of those SAS drives (I think it is the deal you are talking about). There is no sign that it has been used before.
I've got two of them. Spinning in a mirror in my NAS. Since serverpartsdelas offered a 3-year warranty, there is a pretty good chance they are new indeed. Hopefully, I will never have to test this claim.

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
The same seller sells bad HDDs further. Be careful.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
The same seller sells bad HDDs further. Be careful.

I've ordered 100's of SAS HDD"s from Boardroom and never had a problem, am I alone?

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
I think the problem is in these SAS Seagate drives that advertised as NEW Seagate Exos WL 12TB SAS 12G .
In fact, they are 5 years old. The firmware is custom OOS12000G and the serial number has been changed.
As for the positive reviews, I myself left a positive review. International shipping took longer to ship than return time.
Probably the seller did not know about the problems with HDDs.
Strangely, the seller stopped responding to emails. And in the product description there was an invitation for foreign buyers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
I think the problem is in these SAS Seagate drives that advertised as NEW Seagate Exos WL 12TB SAS 12G .
In fact, they are 5 years old. The firmware is custom OOS12000G and the serial number has been changed.
As for the positive reviews, I myself left a positive review. International shipping took longer to ship than return time.
Probably the seller did not know about the problems with HDDs.
Strangely, the seller stopped responding to emails. And in the product description there was an invitation for foreign buyers.
OK, I just bought a couple and will check them out thoroughly.

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
Yep, these drives are definitely refurbished/remanufactured. Quite a few dings and dents, wear on the pins, and the SMART data has been reset, but not thoroughly enough to erase all evidence.

PXL_20230811_230016162.jpgPXL_20230811_230109516.jpgPXL_20230811_230041213.jpg

Code:
Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 0:52
Manufactured in week 19 of year 2023
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  220
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  600000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  74271
Elements in grown defect list: 0
Code:
SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Completed                   -      20                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -   36069                 - [-   -    -]
Will see what the seller has to say about it.

• Love
Reactions: itronin and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yep, these drives are definitely refurbished/remanufactured. Quite a few dings and dents, wear on the pins, and the SMART data has been reset, but not thoroughly enough to erase all evidence.
Used drive pricing, used drive warranty, but the added twist of altered drive metrics and fraudulent sales pitch! :D I could see the seller doing the usual 'refund no questions asked' just to keep the gig going...

Reactions: mach3.2

Auggie

Nov 26, 2022
Used drive pricing, used drive warranty, but the added twist of altered drive metrics and fraudulent sales pitch! :D I could see the seller doing the usual 'refund no questions asked' just to keep the gig going...
That's pretty much how it went. To the seller's credit, he responded quickly. I will try to order some more next week, and see what happens.

Copy/paste of chat:
Received the drives quickly, but they are clearly used drives, when the listing is for "new" condition. Please advise.
4:43 PM

B
They are white label seagate drives with 0 hours on them(just the few hours from seagate). If you don't want them, I can send a return label. Thanks
4:46 PM

SMART Self-test logNum Test Status segment LifeTime LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]Description number (hours)# 1 Background long Completed - 20 - [- - -]# 2 Background short Completed - 36069 - [- - -]
4:58 PM

Test 2 was run at 36059 power on hours

B
No idea what happened. I buy them in bulk from them. Want me to send a return label? Or want a partial refund of $20
5:02 PM

No, I knew what I was buying, but wanted to confirm it, so no refund/return. I would suggest updating your listing, though. At least one other person has had the same experience that I know of, so it's not an isolated thing.
5:08 PM

B
Thanks for letting me know. I better start testing all of them and making sure
5:12 PM

Ok, will check back later to see how things are going.
5:15 PM

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's pretty much how it went. To the seller's credit, he responded quickly. I will try to order some more next week, and see what happens.

Copy/paste of chat:
Received the drives quickly, but they are clearly used drives, when the listing is for "new" condition. Please advise.
4:43 PM

B
They are white label seagate drives with 0 hours on them(just the few hours from seagate). If you don't want them, I can send a return label. Thanks
4:46 PM

SMART Self-test logNum Test Status segment LifeTime LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]Description number (hours)# 1 Background long Completed - 20 - [- - -]# 2 Background short Completed - 36069 - [- - -]

Test 2 was run at 36059 power on hours

B
No idea what happened. I buy them in bulk from them. Want me to send a return label? Or want a partial refund of $20
5:02 PM

No, I knew what I was buying, but wanted to confirm it, so no refund/return. I would suggest updating your listing, though. At least one other person has had the same experience that I know of, so it's not an isolated thing.
5:08 PM

B
Thanks for letting me know. I better start testing all of them and making sure
5:12 PM

Ok, will check back later to see how things are going.
5:15 PM
Interesting dialogue--sounds like they genuinely didn't know what they were selling...or they've got this game down pat.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I would usually take a partial return if the used drive still worked.

If they don't update the ebay status and you wanted to cause problems for them, you could always report to ebay about misrepresenting the status.

Reactions: mach3.2 and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If they don't update the ebay status and you wanted to cause problems for them, you could always report to ebay about misrepresenting the status.
They have probably played that game too and know how to quickly 'comply' with any ebay requests that are going to be just warnings anyways. Follow the money and you see the magic machine at work...

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
In my case shipping was above return window.
Seller stops answer email and even not change NEW status of HDD.
May be I have chance with PP ?