Remove Legacy BIOS From 9361-8i?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jmdomini

Jan 30, 2024
Is there any way to completely REMOVE the legacy BIOS from a 9361-8i card and run it as UEFI only mode?

I'm fighting with a HP Microserver G10 that absolutely refuses to co-exist with any card that has a legacy BIOS on board. It will not POST with the system in UEFI mode if there is one. I can use an HBA card like the 9210-8i, which have seperate flashes for UEFI and BIOS. However it seems like this isn't an option for any of the cards which support RAID-5. They only have all in one firmware packages.

Sadly the BIOS on the Microserver G10 is crippled as well so there are no options to disable option ROM's on add on cards unlike most mainstream servers.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Don't be silly. For starters, OP wants to get rid of BIOS OpROM, not the UEFI OpROM. Also, the OpROMs do nothing besides add a driver and menu plugin (UEFI) or an int13h handler and real mode config utility (BIOS). They do nothing once the OS is loaded and takes over the PCIe device, and as such are primarily relevant for booting a system.

I can use an HBA card like the 9210-8i, which have seperate flashes for UEFI and BIOS.
Have you checked whether the latest firmware drops the BIOS OpROM? I seem to recall that at least the HBAs dropped it with the 9400 series (but that's a completely separate software stack - and the 9300s did not get the newer versions, so even if that's true, it's not clear that it applies to your card...).

jmdomini

Jan 30, 2024
Have you checked whether the latest firmware drops the BIOS OpROM? I seem to recall that at least the HBAs dropped it with the 9400 series (but that's a completely separate software stack - and the 9300s did not get the newer versions, so even if that's true, it's not clear that it applies to your card...).
I flashed to the latest available firmware, so unfortunately looks like they didn't drop it. Looks like this card will be going back. I think I'm going to have to go with the HP blessed card for this box, the HP E208i-p. This was the third card I've tried and failed with and I'm just tired of fighting with this machine.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
You can always try to dig through the storcli docs and try to cobble together an incantation. Not a fun activity, but desperate times and all that...

jmdomini

Jan 30, 2024
Thanks for trying, I've packed up the card and have an RMA at this point for a refund. Found the "blessed" card on EBay for less $$ than the 9361. At least if it still doesn't work HP can't keep telling me sorry it isn't supported. It's right there on their spec sheet under optional components for the server. Hope it does work!