Recommendations for Small Buisness configuration.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
Hello All, i recently made the dumb decision to start my own company and self fund the entire thing.

All i do is host docker containers (not kubernetes). my current hardware config is as follows:
1 C6400 chassis with 4 nodes of the following specs per:
2x intel xeon 6150
512gb of DDR4 ram
HBA 330
2x 960gb sata ssd
2x 1.9tb sas SSD
1x 3.4tb sas SSD
1x integrated i350 1gb nic (single port)
1x x540 intel 10gb nic (single port)
1x cx-4 EDR nic (dual port)

My question for you fellow tech enthusiasts is what would you recommend for creating a solution that has virtualization HA and storage based redundancy?

currently I'm looking at going with Ceph and proxmox to create a 4 node redundant cluster. my concern with that is the lack of RDMA support with ceph and the performance hit id take with running Ceph so i wanted to know if theres a better solution out there.

unfortunately my budget is $0 at this time, please let me know what your thoughts are and what has worked for you and any recommendations you may have.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
The lowest price option I can think of (that's more performance than ceph) is still going to cost money...

Home describes how to build your own ZFS cluster w/ dual ported SAS devices sitting in an external disk shelf. You can then do active/active w/ 2 nodes and failover everything to a surviving node.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
if you plan on doing docker HA and still use more than half your nodes - you need to go kubernetes if you want to be "free"; Else if you are ok loosing 2 nodes, you can use linux pacemaker or similar and just run mirrored nodes. (would need rhel *nix)

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
The lowest price option I can think of (that's more performance than ceph) is still going to cost money...

Home describes how to build your own ZFS cluster w/ dual ported SAS devices sitting in an external disk shelf. You can then do active/active w/ 2 nodes and failover everything to a surviving node.
Oh wow, that is an excellently written guide, ill for sure be bookmarking that one.

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
if you plan on doing docker HA and still use more than half your nodes - you need to go kubernetes if you want to be "free"; Else if you are ok loosing 2 nodes, you can use linux pacemaker or similar and just run mirrored nodes. (would need rhel *nix)
i wont be doing Docker HA, just more need HA at the VM and storage level, i looked at that and i can only sustain about one node loss at this time.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I'd say cheapest solution would be proxmox, else you can try oVirt but there's less usage - and cert expiring can nuke your setup.

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
I'd say cheapest solution would be proxmox, else you can try oVirt but there's less usage - and cert expiring can nuke your setup.
Thank you for the suggestion! i cant believe i haven't heard of this one before, ill definitely be trying this out later. If theres a risk of it nuking my setup ill avoid using that, but it looks like a fun thing to play around with.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
oVirt is definitely more professional especially since its running on rhel nix vs proxmox that works on debilan; but as long as you keep it monitored, and handle stuff in respective amount of time there's nothing to worry.

1713914867620.png

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
1 C6400 chassis with 4 nodes of the following specs per:
There was a front page post about a 2u4node system failure a few years ago where a power surge fried the nodes at the same. I think sth was down for a few hours/days.

@Patrick do you have a link to that post? I rember it but can't find it with the forum search or google (oldest post in main sites forum is from 2016...)

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
I'm actually not concerned about the hardware as much, that's my primary domain and i know these particular systems like the back of my hand, but i was kinda forced to go with them due to the colo pricing, gotta pack as much into that 1/4 rack as humanly possible.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
There was a front page post about a 2u4node system failure a few years ago where a power surge fried the nodes at the same. I think sth was down for a few hours/days.

@Patrick do you have a link to that post? I rember it but can't find it with the forum search or google (oldest post in main sites forum is from 2016...)
I'd say cudo's for not using ups for your servers.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

That was the worst! Super over-provisioned Kingston "data center" SSDs did not have power inrush protection so a surge in the Dell C6100 took out the drives in every node.

People wonder why I have become a fan of losing performance by using mixed brands of drives in RAID 1 in the hosting cluster. This is the big reason.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
The only inrush issues i've had was luckily a simple inability of single 500W PSU to start 28 HDDs.
What drives those were, Patrick? And what was the likely cause?

jamesthetechie

Apr 20, 2024
That was the worst! Super over-provisioned Kingston "data center" SSDs did not have power inrush protection so a surge in the Dell C6100 took out the drives in every node.

People wonder why I have become a fan of losing performance by using mixed brands of drives in RAID 1 in the hosting cluster. This is the big reason.
the C6100 was a wild system that required a blood sacrifice to be stable, i cant tell you how many times i sliced my hand open on one of those things, the C6400 is MUCH better in terms of stability.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The only inrush issues i've had was luckily a simple inability of single 500W PSU to start 28 HDDs.
What drives those were, Patrick? And what was the likely cause?
It was a power freak-out in the chassis. I figured there was a forum thread on them.

The funny part @jamesthetechie is that the C6100 was a super high-volume line before many of the the hyper-scalers went OCP.

Reactions: T_Minus