Recommendation on how to setup a central Lets Encrypt server for internal domain?

Discussion in 'Software Stuff' started by spyrule, Apr 13, 2019.

1. spyrule

spyrule Active Member

Hey,

So this is something that I've been meaning to get to forever, and now that Let's Encrypt supports wildcard SSL Certs, Id like to setup a central linux box that I can setup, to generate the Main Certificate that I can use to secure my servers (all intranet based servers). Id like to attempt to automate this as much as possible.

Does anybody have a decent instruction set (or link to) on how to setup from scratch a server dedicated to doing this?

I'm not a deep linux expert by any means (I can get my way around a CLI though). Hence the reason why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

2. GuybrushThreepwood

I don't have many internal servers requiring it, but for those I do, I have the following simple script running on cron.
    I use certbot to generate wildcard cert and its subsequent renewals, with the following post-hook script:
    certbot -q renew --post-hook "/bin/systemctl reload nginx; /root/update-cert-to-remote-hosts.sh"

In update-cert-to-remote-hosts.sh, I have the following commands listed per internal server:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/scp /etc/letsencrypt/live/domain.tld/* root@server1:/etc/nginx/ssl/domain.tld/
    /usr/bin/ssh root@server1 systemctl reload nginx
    /usr/bin/scp /etc/letsencrypt/live/domain.tld/* root@server2:/etc/nginx/ssl/domain.tld/
    /usr/bin/ssh root@server2 systemctl reload nginx
    /usr/bin/scp /etc/letsencrypt/live/domain.tld/* root@server3:/etc/nginx/ssl/domain.tld/
    /usr/bin/ssh root@server3 systemctl reload nginx