Raid 0 on LSI 9217-8i HBA Problem with detecting drives.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bartosz Grzelak

Feb 26, 2018
Hello everybody,
I recently installed LSI 9217-8i in my dl380e system and placed two identical WD drives in the enclosure. I want to try out software raid on that HBA card but I can't seems to have an option to create raid becouse all the drives show up as ----- when in raid creation menu. All I see is this

(that screenshot is not from machine but I see something very similar)

. In windows when using MegaRaidSM i only see on of my drives. Rest of the drives are not listed, but they are properly seen by windows. I have also tried using sas2ircu and it shows my drives but they have the same device id and location id all across. On the note, I have latest IR firmware on card. Any ideas?

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
The LSI 9217 is a HBA it has no raid, if you want to do software raid you will need to do that in your OS ie in windows if its a server based one you can right click the drives in disk management and do various raid things.

Mishka

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
According to your screen shot, this is a LSI 1068e which is NOT a LSI 9217. That's a SAS1 HBA part, and the 9217 is a SAS2 HBA part. Are you sure about the part you're using?

Bartosz Grzelak

Feb 26, 2018
According to your screen shot, this is a LSI 1068e which is NOT a LSI 9217. That's a SAS1 HBA part, and the 9217 is a SAS2 HBA part. Are you sure about the part you're using?
This screenshot is just for the reference from google. i dont have access to my machine at the moment , but i have almost identical setup as on the screenshot.