Rackable System 3U 16 drives chassis SAS2 upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thatoneuser

Jan 27, 2014
I upgraded this to SAS2 today with an Intel RES2SV240 SAS2 expander.

First, cut off the 12V power cables from the PSU to the expander 2x2 connector, and use the twist cap connector to connect to the 4pin molex cable I have around from dead PSU. Twist cap is quick and convenient.

How it looks like with all 6 ports plugged in. 4 ports connected to 16 drives, the other two ports connected to the 9266-8i.

Will be using the internal to external bracket to do the job.

Connecting the internal 8087 end to the 9266-8i.

The expander chip can get quite warm. Added a fan to it.

It's gonna sit in the metal chassis, used an antistatic bag to insulate it. Of course, cut a hole open for the fan.

Here's the external bracket. I'm going to fit it in the front of the Rackable chassis at the location where the LCD upgrade module would've gone. Bent out the PCI bracket tab and drilled two small holes to mount to the front chassis bracket.

This is how it looks like mounted.

The front bracket again, from inside the chassis.

Overall view.

Front of the chassis accommodates two 8088 external cables in the bracket. With the front bracket installed, the top cover fully closes and it looks just like how it was before the upgrade.

The inside of the chassis. Not the cleanest view, but it does the job. I added a mylar sheet to insulate the back of the backplanes from the expander, even though it's already inside the antistatic bag.

DolphinsDan

Sep 17, 2013
That is a super project! Love the results!

Does it work well? Are you at all worried the plastic bag will melt or something like that?

thatoneuser

Jan 27, 2014
*update*
Found more mylar sheets to use. Using them to insulate the expander card and chassis/backplane instead of the antistatic bag.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Hey that looked totally awesome now! Almost looks like you did a fan mod too.

BTW is the old expander that is in there easily reusable?

thatoneuser

Jan 27, 2014
Hey that looked totally awesome now! Almost looks like you did a fan mod too.

BTW is the old expander that is in there easily reusable?
Probably. Looks like it just needs the 2x2 power connector for power. The colored ribbon cables are for serial.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
Mylar is way better as antistatic bags are slightly conductive :)
slightly conductive!, the whole point of antistatic bags is that they are CONDUCTIVE.

NEVER run electronics with an antistatic bag or foam as an insulating layer, this is a very bad idea.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
I said my piece based on facts, the armchair experts wanted to whinge, I don't care. I don't need to keep going back to threads full of idiots with narrow ideas or understandings...

You were the one who wanted to prove that you being lazy was justified, how long does it take to do the job write and solder the joint and heat-shrink it?

You are the one looking for the attention with forum hoping, if you don't like the attention or that people have criticisms, then turn off the internet, turn off your computer, go find something else to do. Maybe a class in soldering.

P.S Have a nice day.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think you've done a good job with the replacement. I do think I would have gone the extra mile to finish the job and remove the old expander and its cables. I don't know the vertical clearance you are left with but I probably would have looked for ways to mount the new expander in the space where old one was mounted. Seems much cleaner than just leaving it kinda loose hanging by data cables in the case cavity.

And - while you may see it as no big deal - I certainly wouldn't run anything critical like a jbod with power via wire-nuts. Its really not that hard to do it right. Order the right connectors, cut off the old one and crimp the new Molex pins. Make it clean. Workmanship really does count...you can get all the parts you need for <$10 here: www.frozencpu.com

Alternatively, along the sames lines, get a blank 4-pin 2x2 molex and make up an adapter cable (4-pin 2x2 to "standard" Molex). Then you don't have to cut anything - just plug connectors. Still many times cleaner and leaves your power cables more secure.