Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Q

quad3

To be clear, I bought a Quanta S210-X12RS - the 1u version.
Arrived yesterday, powers on, I flashed BMC to reset main password.
I have the fan problems. I installed Proxmox for testing but the fans don't go down. (I am trying with esxi also)
Whoever managed to get the fans on lower speeds, what os did you use? I do not like the idea to swap the fans.
Also, my server has a kind of dual fan per rail. so 6x~6000rpm+6x~8000rpm. this is insane :)

Mini sas ports - looks like 2 out of 3 are working. I might be good here. L.E. I got a response from Quanta - very nice and very fast - informing me that for my motherboard, sata ports 0-3, sata6-1 and sata6-1, and sas 0 to 3 are working, but sas4-7 are not usable. So a total of 10 ports available for drives. Nice!
I did not test yet the gpu on the pcie. L.E. Got the quadro p400 into the slot, passed it through to my vm, everything checks ok!

For posterity:
Quanta s210-x12rs BMC is the same as quanta s210-x22rq. ;)
I just acquired an S210-x12RS too, and can't figure out how to disable the onboard ast2300 graphics and use a graphics card in the pcie slot. Did you manage to do this? The "I did not test yet the gpu on the pcie" has a line through it, so just curious... I've been looking around for a motherboard manual and the latest bios for this all afternoon, hoping an option would appear in the bios to disable the onboard graphics. It's my first server pc, so any help would be appreciated :)

Q

quad3

Rather than "disabling" the onboard graphics chip, I have managed to edit the bios, and add an option to select the primary VGA adapter. If anyone needs any help doing the same, or similar, then I'll try and help.

Reactions: nedimzukic2

rdavid

Jan 30, 2021
Rather than "disabling" the onboard graphics chip, I have managed to edit the bios, and add an option to select the primary VGA adapter. If anyone needs any help doing the same, or similar, then I'll try and help.
It sounds very interesting, a PM has been sent with pleasure ;)

rdavid

Jan 30, 2021
Hi, I'm looking for the BMC update for the S210-X22R server. As far as I know, the latest BMC Version is 7.74 from 2019/07/04 with size 33.96 MB. Could you please help me to find it? ...the official web site unpublished all (BIOS, BMC, etc.) download web links :(

Q

quad3

Hi, I'm looking for the BMC update for the S210-X22R server. As far as I know, the latest BMC Version is 7.74 from 2019/07/04 with size 33.96 MB. Could you please help me to find it? ...the official web site unpublished all (BIOS, BMC, etc.) download web links :(
Hi rdavid. If you contact Quanta via this link, I'm sure they will be happy to send you the latest BMC. Contact | QCT- Quanta Cloud Technology

Reactions: rdavid

coolerdgrad

Mar 9, 2021
hello friends, help me find the latest firmware for S210-X22RQ, does not start with E5-2667 v2, but removed on the official website

x00r

Oct 9, 2018
Dear All,

may i ask you for help? I have bought 4 pcs of the 24 sff version of SS210-X22RQ because i needed a cheap way to spin up old SAS drives... BUT no matter what i try, no SAS drive is visible to to controller.
All of them came with the DA0S2GTH8B0 Quanta LSISAS2008 Mezzanine controllers and 2x HP 672239-001 mini SAS cables.

The drives spin up when the server is powered on, the lime LED stay lit, the green ones blink a few seconds and then stay also lit... I have changed the mini SAS cables, i have tried an P420 controller, an DELL h200 in IT Mode... I have tried to enable disable SSC and switch the LSI/DELL mode on the backplane, but the result is always the same. No drives found.

This is extremely frustrating, as i was living in the illusion, that i do know what am i doing most of the time. But i am out of ides... I do refuse to believe that 4 servers have the same malfunction... and that even the Quanta Mezz controller is not working is just puzzling.

Do you have any advice what could it be?
Thank you very much!

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Dear All,

may i ask you for help? I have bought 4 pcs of the 24 sff version of SS210-X22RQ because i needed a cheap way to spin up old SAS drives... BUT no matter what i try, no SAS drive is visible to to controller.
All of them came with the DA0S2GTH8B0 Quanta LSISAS2008 Mezzanine controllers and 2x HP 672239-001 mini SAS cables.

The drives spin up when the server is powered on, the lime LED stay lit, the green ones blink a few seconds and then stay also lit... I have changed the mini SAS cables, i have tried an P420 controller, an DELL h200 in IT Mode... I have tried to enable disable SSC and switch the LSI/DELL mode on the backplane, but the result is always the same. No drives found.

This is extremely frustrating, as i was living in the illusion, that i do know what am i doing most of the time. But i am out of ides... I do refuse to believe that 4 servers have the same malfunction... and that even the Quanta Mezz controller is not working is just puzzling.

Do you have any advice what could it be?
Thank you very much!
Hi, depending of RAID , to see drives from operating system have to initialize 2 ways web bios or tool like storcli/megacli/ssacli.
usually raid contr. report drives physical and/or virtual i.e. in raid mode during POST.

stsoftware

Aug 13, 2021
Hello, everyone!
Can anybody explain how to make our awesome server works with XEON E5-2600 V2?

What i done already:
1. Bought pair of E5-2670v2.
2. Bought BIOS chip. W25Q256JVFIQ. Yes, capacity is 32Mb. But it is ok, chips with the same organisation.
3. Flashed BIOS chip with firmaware S2RS4A21 (latest that i found, 2018)
4. Installed V2 processors.

And today i have that Intel Managment Engine goes crazy. It doesn't want to start windows system. All starts are finished with blue-screen with ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

Every start of system adds record in event log:
SPS FW Health NM (OEM) Firmware Status - Manufacturing Error - Asserted

In BIOS i see state "Recovery" of ME subsystem, may be is not normal.
I googled the same state in this blog:

But in my case updating BIOS doesn't helps. I tried all versions of BIOS that i found with Ivy-Bridge support: B12, A19, A21.
I know about jumper J29. I cleared CMOS after flashing. But result is the same - ME in state "Recovery", Windows crashing at startup.

Please, if anyone have solution, tell me what to do.

hunchy95

Mar 26, 2022
Hate to revive an old thread. I'm looking for latest BIOS and BMC firmware for the S210-X22RQ 2U model. If somebody could send or link me to those I'd greatly appreciate it.

I contacted Quanta and they said since it's EOL they can't send the firmware to me. Unfortunate.

jcarevalo

May 30, 2022
@hunchy95 did you find any info?

I've got 2x S210-X12RS v2 and 1x S210-X12RS v1 and I would like to at least know which is the last version of the BIOS and BMC.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I contacted Quanta and they've provided me with the latest firmware!

The S210-X22RQ server is EOL and “Out of Support” as well as “Out of Warranty”. Therefore, use of provided BIOS/BMC firmware update is provided with no implied support. User accepts all risks with use of this firmware update.

Edit: Be very careful, I bricked my board attempting to update the BMC firmware.

Password is servethehome.com

See this post for updated link.

Last edited:

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I've been running my Quanta as a file server for the past few years. It's been a great bargain, but decided to try to update the bios to support a pair of E5-2650 v2 procs. I was able to figure out the process to get V2 support. The nice part is that the system bios is in a holder that can be easily swapped.

I wanted to share my experience as this information is sorely lacking online, however please use care and ensure you backup your original rom .Bin image if you decide to try this. I am not to blame if you fry your system and anger your cat because you lost all of their cat pictures you downloaded.

You will not be able to complete this using the MegaRac BMC to complete this. It may be possible to still do this without removing the BIOS chip from the system, however I have not tested this route.

You will need the following:
128Mbit bios chip - I purchased some Winbond 25Q128JVFQ from Mouser
SPI Programmer - I used a CH341A Usb variant from Amazon or other source
SOP16 300mil Adapter - STAR-SOP 3 in 1 from Amazon or other source
CH341A Programmer software - This can be found online as free download
4A21 Bios from Quanta - You will want the newest version, yes the 16MBit variant

Shut down system, remove all power sources.
Pull out the BIOS chip (the first pin faces the CPUs, there is a small mark on the inside of the holder pointing to the first pin but it is hard to see).
Insert 64Mbit bios chip into CH341A programmer, using SOP16 adapter as necessary.
Make a copy of your original bios .bin file and save this!!!
Set your original 64Mbit bios chip aside somewhere safe!!!
Place new 128Mbit bios chip into CH341A programmer/adapter.
Erase and verify chip has been blanked with software.
Burn 4A21.bin (NOT the .rom) onto 128Mbit bios chip, validate against buffer to ensure it has been written properly.
Insert new 128Mbit bios chip into socket on motherboard - ensure pin 1 is facing towards the cpus.
Clear CMOS on system.
Power up system.
You may need to wait for several power cycles that the system will perform.
If all went well, your system should eventually show you a splash screen.

If you are unable to get this to work, you can always clear CMOS and place your original 64Mbit bios chip back into the system.

In the event this is helpful and further information is requested, please let me know and I will help if I am able to. This should also assist those who have a corrupted bios and are unable to get their system to power up.

Other notes:
The BMC chip is soldered to the motherboard. It is possible to swap this out and use a 254Mbit to allow for v7x BMC firmware (not tested), however after comparing against original firmware release notes it does not seem that there is any if much of a difference and not worth the effort.
The original motherboard in my server didn't show a revision, and has removable BIOS and BMC firmware chip.
Sadly I bricked it trying to update BMC to 7.76. D'oh.
I bought another motherboard from esiso and it shows Rev. C and has a non-removable BMC firmware chip.
I would like more information about SOP16 adapter, as I'd like to try to backup the 3.58 firmware on the new board and restore on the chip in the old board. I've never done any chip flashing before.

Edit: Here is my 3.58 BMC backup if it helps anyone: Sharing Link Validation
Once again password is servethehome.com

See this post for updated link.

Last edited: