Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
If it interests anyone I was able to flash the DA0S2GTH8B0 (LSI SAS2008 Mezz) with LSI 9210-8i IT mode firmware and it seems to be working so far....

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
Here is an updated link to my collection, including BIOS, BMC, and SAS2008 HBA firmware, along with some PDF manuals:
No password needed.

The S210-X22RQ server is EOL and “Out of Support” as well as “Out of Warranty”. Therefore, use of provided BIOS/BMC firmware update is provided with no implied support. User accepts all risks with use of this firmware update.

Edit: Be very careful, I bricked my board attempting to update the BMC firmware.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
1691107943030.gif

I was able to flash my BMC chip to 7.76 using a CH341A USB SPI programmer. My board works again!
I had to use UsbAsp-flash, since flashrom would not correctly write the MX25L25635E chip.
Sadly the web UI uses only SSLv3 or TLSv1, no TLSv1.1-1.3.

kgoblue01

Dec 11, 2023
Got the new fans installed -- four V80E12BHA7-57 NIDEC fans. The cables were too short for two of the mounting points - so I used some of these dupont cables to extend the 4-wire, but just buy some 4-pin extension cables and you'll be prepared.

The original fans are 13,000 RPM rated -- 4.9 Amps. These new fans are 6000 RPM rated, .8 Amps. The new fans idle around 3000RPM, which is very comfortable. Upon first boot, they spin up to 6000 RPM (which is still quieter than the Delta fans were at that speed) and quickly ramp down to 3,000 RPM. Looks like it'll ramp down to 50% of whatever the max speed of the fan is - so buy accordingly.

Very quiet - very happy.

View attachment 2854
I just got the V80E12BHA7-57 fans installed in my Quanta but they are still idling at 6500 RPM. Did you have to do any configuration changes after installing the fans in order to get them to ramp down to 3000 RPM? I was really hopeful buying the same fans here would result in the same quieter experience.

Reactions: owenthewizard

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I hope this is helpful for anyone having the fan issue. My fans were always on full blast, all showed 0 RPM and critical in the BMC. The backplane firmware also showed N/A. A while ago I had replaced the motherboard and then swapped it with the original again. I must have plugged in the backplane I2C connectors backwards - after switching them back around, the fans throttle down!
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
There's another thread with these. I returned mine for a number of reasons (plus damage from poor warehouse handling). BIOS is slow.... makes supermicro seem like insta-boot. Good luck setting the boot order or uefi boot reliably.

First gen motherboard, ipmi sucks, enjoy the root backdoor you can't change the password. No fan control (yes, I tried everything) extremely loud. Riser card does not support gpu's (it may, but quanta has a special part for it). Chassis is flexible.
. In a bad way. Made me concerned for damaging the motherboard. Doesn't hold a candle to any supermicro chassis.

Works great on esxi 6. 10gb, you will need Intel sfp's. I was able to flash the lsi to it mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It looks like you can but it's hidden, if you change the URL for one of the navigation items to configure_root.html: 1707769521694.png

Edit: The web console security is pretty bad. It can be used to dump the the SSL cert private key, and probably any other file...

Last edited:

EnduringGuerila

Feb 13, 2024
I registered initially just to say thank you owenthewizard!

I bought the server in 2020 for about $150, couldn't get things to work and couldn't find documentation and then forgot about it.

I decided to try again and after messing with it for 2 days, I found you! Just flashed the bios update to 2018 (mine was still 2014) and am now wondering about the BMC update. Mine is currently BMC FW 07.58, is it even worth trying to update it?

$162 - 384GB of ram [HMT42GR7AFR4C-RD] (coming in like 2 days!)
$50 - 2 Xeon E5-2697 v2 CPUs (Think I see Rev C on my board so hopefully these work without swapping chips)
$38 - 4 Nidec V80E12BHA7-57 fans
$1432 - 11x lot Seagate Exos X16 16TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s
Couple ebay offers out for 10gb nics.

Considering delidding the cpus as someone dropped 20C on their 269X v3. Will test on one of the 2620s that came with it, haven't had issues with other cpus in the past but they weren't soldered.

My rear backplane for SSDs is fried and I'm not sure what I want to do. A replacement is only $30 but idk if the rear mezzanine raid controller is dead too. Maybe but get a quad m.2 pcie adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

EnduringGuerila

Feb 13, 2024
I managed to find an original rear backplane for $18, and if I understand this correctly, since it uses 2 separate 'sata' connectors, it's capable of 12gb/s with a u.2 ssd and different raid controller.
So, I'm going to try a Quanta DAS2BTH7CB0 for $11!
If we're lucky, it'll be faster than 6gb/s and everything will function as I imagine.

Last edited:

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I managed to find an original rear backplane for $18, and if I understand this correctly, since it uses 2 separate 'sata' connectors, it's capable of 12gb/s with a u.2 ssd and different raid controller.
So, I'm going to try a Quanta DAS2BTH7CB0 for $11!
If we're lucky, it'll be faster than 6gb/s and everything will function as I imagine.
I bought a QS3008 and it did NOT work. Even though the physical connector is the same, the piece that connects it to the board is not. You can see the one I bought here: QS3008-SAS Quanta QS3008 8-Port 12G SAS PCIE Mezzanie Raid Cont. w/board | eBay.
I have doubts that te QS3108 is any different but if you buy one do keep us updated!

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I registered initially just to say thank you owenthewizard!

I bought the server in 2020 for about $150, couldn't get things to work and couldn't find documentation and then forgot about it.

I decided to try again and after messing with it for 2 days, I found you! Just flashed the bios update to 2018 (mine was still 2014) and am now wondering about the BMC update. Mine is currently BMC FW 07.58, is it even worth trying to update it?

$162 - 384GB of ram [HMT42GR7AFR4C-RD] (coming in like 2 days!)
$50 - 2 Xeon E5-2697 v2 CPUs (Think I see Rev C on my board so hopefully these work without swapping chips)
$38 - 4 Nidec V80E12BHA7-57 fans
$1432 - 11x lot Seagate Exos X16 16TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s
Couple ebay offers out for 10gb nics.

Considering delidding the cpus as someone dropped 20C on their 269X v3. Will test on one of the 2620s that came with it, haven't had issues with other cpus in the past but they weren't soldered.

My rear backplane for SSDs is fried and I'm not sure what I want to do. A replacement is only $30 but idk if the rear mezzanine raid controller is dead too. Maybe but get a quad m.2 pcie adapter.
I would actually recommend the Arctic S8038-7K or S8038-10K; they can be had in a kit of 4 on Amazon for about the same price as real Delta fans from Digikey, but with free shipping. They are pretty quiet when PWM'ed down, but I haven't stressed the server and checked the temperatures yet. I hope to do that tonight.
Interesting tip about delidding, I will have to try that on my 2650L v2. I'm using 2620 v1 for testing right now. Hopefully, my board works with v2. I think it should.
Mine came with QS2108, but it doesn't support IT mode, so I bought a QS2008 and cross-flashed it, as detailed before in this thread. You can find all the mezzanine options on my recently uploaded QCT mezzanine portfolio PDF.
A dual/quad M.2 would only work if the PCIe ports support bifurcation. There's no visible toggle in the BIOS, but it may be able to be enabled with UBC.

EnduringGuerila

Feb 13, 2024
Hmm, I'll have to check temps with the fans I ordered. If delidding goes well, I'm hoping temps will be perfect and 3k rpm idle will be quiet enough for my utility room. If not, I might jam the sucker in a closet.

As for the mezzanine card you tried, which connection are you saying is different? Mine is coming with a riser so hopefully either the old or the new one will fit the card or mobo respectively. Should be delivered between the 16th and 21st, they haven't posted tracking yet.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
Hmm, I'll have to check temps with the fans I ordered. If delidding goes well, I'm hoping temps will be perfect and 3k rpm idle will be quiet enough for my utility room. If not, I might jam the sucker in a closet.

As for the mezzanine card you tried, which connection are you saying is different? Mine is coming with a riser so hopefully either the old or the new one will fit the card or mobo respectively. Should be delivered between the 16th and 21st, they haven't posted tracking yet.
The physical connector on the mezz is the same but the riser connecting it to the motherboard is different. You can see it in this listing: QS3008-SAS Quanta QS3008 8-Port 12G SAS PCIE Mezzanie Raid Cont. w/board | eBay
On second thought, maybe the header just needs to be connected to something? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
Pictured are the Arctic fans in my server. I bought these rubber grommets since the OEM ones seemed to be close to wearing out and I didn't want to break them. They work, but you have to cut the tips off after installing them and jam them into the slot.
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

EnduringGuerila

Feb 13, 2024
Nice. I might end up getting different fans since 2 of the 4 I ordered arrived... defective.
20240215_223944.jpg

I was mistaken on the version of the CPUs my server came with, they were 1620v2, not v1. So I slapped $25/ea Xeon E5-2697v2 12 core beauties in and instantly worked. I was scared one of my CPU Slots was bad since only one of the 1620s was working (when I got it, I only had 4 sticks of ram and thought the other cpu wasn't showing since all the ram was on one side, but installed 24 sticks and still only one cpu) but both 2697v2s showed right up.

The mezzanine raid card is working now that I have the new rear backplane installed. Still need to update the firmware on both raid cards tomorrow. Still waiting for the 12gb/s one to arrive (I think on the 20th) for testing.

Now for the ram situation, the ebay seller shipped me some garbage that didn't match the listing. I received 24 sticks of hmt331gr7cfr4a (Hynix 8gb 1333mhz) instead of the 16gb 1866mhz sticks.
I installed these to test everything while waiting for the correct sticks and my board seems to have 3 bad DIMM slots. D0, D1 and D2. I moved some sticks around and the same slots showed empty.

Also, when I had only 12 sticks showing with the one old CPU, the ram was running at like 1100mhz, but once I swapped CPUs and showed 21 sticks, all are running at only 800mhz. Any ideas? I didn't see anything at quick glance in the bios to change the ram speed.

Lastly, how do you update the BMC Firmware? When I run the updater, it just gets stuck downloading the update from their server and I don't see a spot to upload my own.

If anyone here wants the 8gb sticks, let me know.

Last edited:

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
Nice. I might end up getting different fans since 2 of the 4 I ordered arrived... defective.
View attachment 34641

I was mistaken on the version of the CPUs my server came with, they were 1620v2, not v1. So I slapped $25/ea Xeon E5-2697v2 12 core beauties in and instantly worked. I was scared one of my CPU Slots was bad since only one of the 1620s was working (when I got it, I only had 4 sticks of ram and thought the other cpu wasn't showing since all the ram was on one side, but installed 24 sticks and still only one cpu) but both 2697v2s showed right up.

The mezzanine raid card is working now that I have the new rear backplane installed. Still need to update the firmware on both raid cards tomorrow. Still waiting for the 12gb/s one to arrive (I think on the 20th) for testing.

Now for the ram situation, the ebay seller shipped me some garbage that didn't match the listing. I received 24 sticks of hmt331gr7cfr4a (Hynix 8gb 1333mhz) instead of the 16gb 1866mhz sticks.
I installed these to test everything while waiting for the correct sticks and my board seems to have 3 bad DIMM slots. D0, D1 and D2. I moved some sticks around and the same slots showed empty.

Also, when I had only 12 sticks showing with the one old CPU, the ram was running at like 1100mhz, but once I swapped CPUs and showed 21 sticks, all are running at only 800mhz. Any ideas? I didn't see anything at quick glance in the bios to change the ram speed.

Lastly, how do you update the BMC Firmware? When I run the updater, it just gets stuck downloading the update from their server and I don't see a spot to upload my own.

If anyone here wants the 8gb sticks, let me know.
Yikes, that looks bad. I could sell you my Nidec fans if you want. Fair warning, rootwyrm has informed me that any such fans ordered from eBay, AliExpress, Amazon, etc. are certainly counterfeit. The only way to get genuine is order them from an actual distributor (DigiKey, Mouser, Arrow, etc.).

You can force RAM speed in the BIOS under Chipset > North Bridge > DDR Speed.
BMC firmware update is under the Maintenance tab in the web console, or can be done in DOS: https://mapleleafmechanical-my.shar...dGnwedwduYfQUBzdW7qVx1mv8Mv-rsJZUllQ?e=X3HXdR
I'm not sure where you even see an option to download from their server - what version are you on? Also consider dumping your current BMC and BIOS firmware, I'd be happy to add it to my catalogue.

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
I was referring to the Maintenance tab in the web console, it gets stuck here every time:
View attachment 34656
(Dark Reader enabled)
I would try flashing it with DOS. Just be very careful, do it from a physical monitor and keyboard, not via the remote console. Make sure you flash either 7.76 or 3.76 depending on your board revision (current version). If it goes wrong, it's not insanely difficult to flash the chip, if you have the board revision with the removable BMC firmware chip... Even if it's soldered you should still in theory be able to flash it. Make sure to take a backup!

EnduringGuerila

Feb 13, 2024
Some quick updates:

The generic LSI battery I bought seems to make my PCI raid card not show on post

ram slots D0, D1 and D2 are still not working even with different ram sticks and it says "0xa218 initialization fail D1" when trying to boot.

Idea for additional SSDs in the future, I have a second drive cage with trays, just need another rear backplane [DAS2RHD64A0]! (since mine was fried)
Screenshot 2024-02-19 004451.png

The QUANTA GRID DAS2BTH48A0 SAS 3108 RAID Card Controller 12GBps is recognized during boot but it wasn't finding the 2 HDDs, need more testing. The bracket from the old mezz card bolts right up and supports it perfectly but the ports are in a weird spot (towards the rear and has to be routed under where the mezz nic sits).
20240219_003435.jpg

The 0J2CD0 Dell Intel X540 10GbE Mezzanine might be a fail, the mezzanine riser seems to short the mezz port and server wouldn't power up at all, not even BMC, until I removed it. Though the card itself (with a tiny bit of case trimming) fit nicely in the intended location.
20240219_002116.jpg

Reactions: owenthewizard

owenthewizard

Sep 15, 2022
If I'm reading you correctly, you can fit another 2.5" rear cage? That's news to me. If so I'll have to buy one and try it out.