Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Sleyk

Your Friendly Knowledgable Helper and Techlover!
Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Yeah, I was so happy to find a 10Gb switch for less than $500 so I convinced my brother to go all in and grab one with me. I have been happy with it, but I wish I could have gotten mines for $300 too. Totally unfair! It bothers me alittle too, as I hate to miss out on a deal. I just emailed an eBay seller cuz' he sold me a motherboard for $104.99 and he listed a slightly cheaper price less than 12 hours later for $96.66. I told him i thought it was unfair, and he promised to refund me the $9 bucks.

$100 bucks irks me so badly Fritz! I could buy 3 x 2TB drives with that! Heheh.

Ah well, name of the game I guess!

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Nice! I will best offer the dickens out of him to see if he might go abit lower. Will hover around the $40 price area you got though. Good find my bud!

jermudgeon

May 30, 2016
Has anyone had any luck with 1G copper SFPs in the SFP+ slots? I have tried Finisar FCLF-8521-3, eNet GLC-T-ENC, and Mikrotik S-RJ01, but none of them are working.

Admin Physical Physical Link Link LACP Actor
Intf Type Mode Mode Status Status Trap Mode Timeout
--------- ------ --------- ---------- ---------- ------ ------- ------ --------
0/8 Enable 10G Full Down Enable Enable long

Interestingly I never see any Phy mode other than 10G Full. And the usual Brocade "speed-duplex 1000-full" command is not allowed in interface.

"interface speed" only lists 10 and 100, and those are not valid modes for the 10G ports.

I have some 10G DAC cables that are working fine. But I have some older gear as well I'd like to connect at 1G.

Edit: Went back and re-read the entire thread. Looks like nobody else has gotten this working either.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I remember we were talking about 1GB sfp transceivers abit back in the thread. Don't remember if it was resolved, but I think I remember someone saying that they did get it to work. I haven't really dedicated the time to investigate it with Quanta either. I meant to try though.

I just run my internet from PfSense to port 25 with a Cat 6 cable, then I put my access point for my wireless network on port 26. I use

I then run two Ethernet cables to ports 27 and 28 and connect two 5 port Gigabit switches. This gives me a total of 8 ports for my other Gigabit Ethernet peripherals like my two HDhomeruns and xbox360 and ps3. I also run all my Supermicro IPMI through the extra Ethernet ports of course. I could also use two 8 port Gigabit switches for a total of 14 gigabit ports if needed. Internet and the network passes along just fine across all 10Gb and 1Gb ethernet ports as it is all switched internally. Works well enough for me.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I've used it with all 4 1Gbe ports LACP to a 24 port 1Gbe switch and I have used a mikrotik CRS226-24g-2s+RM connected via a 0.5m DAC.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Edit: Went back and re-read the entire thread. Looks like nobody else has gotten this working either.
Yup. dwright1542 has said multiple times that they have an optical SFP transceiver working but has yet to verify the P/N. Another person thought they had one working but recanted. Everyone else who has tried one or several has reported failure.

And in my experience trying to get a 10GbE transceiver to link with a 1GbE transceiver on the other end doesn't work either, tho I've misplaced the 1GbE transceiver now and can't say what the P/N was.

I'd have liked to use some 1GbE RJ-45 SPFs to eliminate wasting an LB4M for IPMI traffic... but I think I'm just going to swap the LB4M for an old Netgear L2 switch that only draws 15W and call it a day.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ended up swapping my LB4M for a ProCurve 1810G-24 because of the noise and power consumption. Heading into the summer my power bill will sky rocket. Every little bit helps.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
For me, unless it is gonna be a connection for 10Gbits, I just stick with 1Gb ethernet connections. Its easier as that is abundant and common. I can understand though, if someone wanted to use 1Gb transceivers to eliminate an extra box and cables, but 1Gb switches are beyond cheap and a 8 port Gigabit switch sips power at what, maybe 4 to 5 watts? Since I still have things that connect by way of ethernet, its easier to just throw a 8 port switch between the Quanta and your 1GB stuff.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Yup. dwright1542 has said multiple times that they have an optical SFP transceiver working but has yet to verify the P/N. Another person thought they had one working but recanted. Everyone else who has tried one or several has reported failure.

And in my experience trying to get a 10GbE transceiver to link with a 1GbE transceiver on the other end doesn't work either, tho I've misplaced the 1GbE transceiver now and can't say what the P/N was.

I'd have liked to use some 1GbE RJ-45 SPFs to eliminate wasting an LB4M for IPMI traffic... but I think I'm just going to swap the LB4M for an old Netgear L2 switch that only draws 15W and call it a day.
Yup. That's me. I know it's a finistar, but getting downtime may be months away. I promise at first chance I'll get the P/N.

Caleb

Nov 16, 2015
My LB6M arrived... all was well until I accidentally ran the following command, "vlan port tagging all"... now I do not have access to my switch. Any recommendations?

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
My LB6M arrived... all was well until I accidentally ran the following command, "vlan port tagging all"... now I do not have access to my switch. Any recommendations?
How about the console port? Standard Cisco style serial cable will work fine.

Caleb

Nov 16, 2015
How about the console port? Standard Cisco style serial cable will work fine.
Definitely need to buy one of those cables... I was able to get connected back to it however since I had set it to network mode DHCP. I just powered the switch on/ off and I had access again on a different port. Thank goodness! This thread has been amazing! I actually set up a 4 port LAG which trunks VLANs 101,102,103 plus the default 1. WOOT! STH for the win.

keoki

Jun 2, 2016
If you don't have a serial port, I suggest the TU-S9 available from Amazon for $7.65, and it is prime if you are a prime user. I have purchased about 200 of these for the engineers at work. If you are a windows person, the main issue you will have with the Tu-s9 is that is can change serial ports (com1, com2, etc). It will tend to stay at the same place for some users, and others see it change almost every time they use it. I think it depends on how many other things you connect to with usb. All of the serial to usb converts do this. To find it's com number on windows 7, go to your start button, then to devices and printers, and scroll to the bottom and you will see it. On windows 10 it is settings> devices, bluetooth, printers>connected devices> and it will show up as a prolific USB to serial com port (comX).

Once you know the com port number, you can use putty. Don't download putty from a "free downloads" site, as they will pack it with a malware payload or have an old version. Putty is a term program that can do telnet, serial, ssh, rlogin. use serial, your assigned com number, 9600. You can customize putty, and don't forget to save your settings so they are easy to use again. Putty is what I use as a ssh client into all of my other systems.

Sorry if you already know all of this, but I work with a team of router engineers, and every once in a while a new engineer will be having trouble, and he will confide in me that he is having difficulty with this "proprietary" rs232 stuff... I'm an old guy that has been using rs232 since 1978, and back then rs232 was used like Ethernet is used today. So I have been making rs232 cables since before many of you were born, probably. The point is, rs232 is old, and if you aren't old, you may have never seen it.

I'm a Cisco hack, and I started one of the first ISP's in 1987, and ran it for 20 years, and I've designed routers and IOT devices, and I manage a lab that designs and supports one of the largest deployed routers on the planet... So while I'm not the end-all expert, I can sometimes be helpful. I have a Cisco 4948 (and a number of other cisco models) in my home lab, and the two 10g ports on it were not enough... So like the rest of you here, I'm here for the scoop on the LB6M. My $350 LB6M has not arrived yet, but I hope to use it to provide high speed networking to my home FreeNAS file servers, and the workstations and VMware servers that will use it for bulk storage. I use VLANs and layer 3 devices extensively, and I'm hoping the lb6m will give me what I need. I would rather have a Cisco, but they cost too much.

I see from elsewhere in the thread that I paid too much for my lb6m... Oh Well...

Last edited: