Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
oh ok. I know there were a couple people trying to get this to work. I think my brother might have a few finistars I can try to get my hands on. Can be useful for perhaps a small hp business pc and a pcie x1 single port sfp card? PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Network Card w/ Open SFP - PCIe SFP Network Card Adapter NIC (Startech kills me with their pricing though) Im curious as to what kind of setups you guys have that require 1gb sfp's? Wondering if it might be better to just get a 8 port gigabit sfp switch?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Alright folks, can anyone provide insight on 1G SFP (optical, SM or MM don't care) that will work? I have tried what I have laying around, and no joy. Seems like the port is forced to 10G, but if I do [Config->Interface 0/2-> Speed ?] it shows 10 or 100M, and if i try either of those, or 1000 it errors with invalid physical mode for this port or invalid input.
Gigabit Ethernet on a SFP+ port requires hardware support in the switch and a SFP that the switch recognizes as compatible. This is a lot harder than it seems, for a number of reasons.

Think of a fiber SFP or SFP+ as a light-to-electricity converter. There is no need for "smarts" inside - just a little EEPROM that tells the switch what the characteristics of the SFP/SFP+ are. Various monitoring functions (transmit / receive optical signal level, temperature, etc.) are optional.

1000Base-T SFPs are a special case - multi-speed ones actually do the speed conversion inside the SFP and look like a vanilla Gigabit port to the switch.

The same problem can show up when you try to do 100Mbit on SFP. Most 100Mbit SFPs are dumb, don't do speed conversion, and need multispeed support in the switch. There are some that do speed conversion, but they're pretty rare. I've never seen an optical GigE/10GbE speed-converting SFP. There's currently no equivalent to the 1000Base-T SFP for 10GbE because any current design would exceed the allowable power available at the SFP+ jack.

If a switch has combo SFP+ / RJ45 ports, those are normally the ones most likely to work with a GigE SFP, since the switch already has to be able to handle multiple speeds on the copper side of things.

SFP / SFP+ are optimized for low price ("low" being a relative term if you're buying genuine Cisco parts). The XENPAK optic, which was used on early designs (normally on a GigE switch that offered one or two "10 Gigabit ready" ports) was much more complicated - the interface on the switch side is pretty close to a dumb parallel port - all of the timing, serialization, and encoding is done in the XENPAK itself. That made the switch design cheap, but the XENPAKs were incredibly expensive, ran hot, and were generally a pain to deal with. They attached to the switch with a pair of thumbscrews, and the electrical connection was a bit "twitchy" - Cisco issued an advisory that "the switch may begin to smoke" when a XENPAK is inserted and suggested powering off the switch first. X2 was a slightly newer design with the same electrical interface but a smaller physical size. It had an odd design where the way to properly remove the X2 from the switch was to unplug the fiber cable and then tug on the connector, which was spring-loaded and would cause the X2 to release from the switch. Fortunately things became a lot more sensible when SFP+ became the normal module type. Since the "smarts" are moved into the switch, this means that the switch has to be willing to support other speeds besides 10GbE for any chance of an SFP to work.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Holly Molly, just tried a Finisar 1gb and it works. :)

I use fiber to electrically isolate my network from the incoming cable internet. Learned the hard way that is is a good idea in my neck of the woods. A couple of years ago I got hit by lightning twice in a month and it took out mostly the networking infrastructure, switchs and nics.

Anyways, it a Finisar FTRJ-8519-7D HP part #J4858A

Reactions: rnavarro and aj84

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016

I use fiber to electrically isolate my network from the incoming cable internet. Learned the hard way that is is a good idea in my neck of the woods. A couple of years ago I got hit by lightning twice in a month and it took out mostly the networking infrastructure, switchs and nics.

Any chance you know what the difference between a FTRJ-8519-7D and FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 is?

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I think the FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 is a 2gb transceiver? I just did a quick splash check in google.
The FTRJ-8519-7D seems to be rated for 1gb or more accurately, 1.25 gigabits.

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
I think the FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 is a 2gb transceiver? I just did a quick splash check in google.
Yeah, just being a cheapo i guess, FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 is considerably cheaper on fleabay than FTRJ-8519-7D... hoping maybe the "2.5" part is irrelevant.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
no, that's cool. the FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 should be ok, as long as it works right? I posted a link on my above post for $3 FTRJ-8519-7D's. Not sure of shipping though.
FTRJ-8519-7D

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
no, that's cool. the FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 should be ok, as long as it works right? I posted a link on my above post for $3 FTRJ-8519-7D's. Not sure of shipping though.
FTRJ-8519-7D
Looks like the FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5 are Fibre Channel, so not gonna bother trying them. Thanks for the info, and hopefully mine works with the FTRJ-8519-7D!

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015

Thought that's what I had in there. Glad it worked.

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
Thought that's what I had in there. Glad it worked.
Ok, so I got mine in the mail yesterday, but still no link. Can you provide a "show port", firmware version, etc.? on mine, this is what I see:

Code:
!System Description "Quanta LB6M, 1.2.0.14, Linux 2.6.21.7"
!System Software Version "1.2.0.14"
!Additional Packages     FASTPATH QOS

(SW00-CoreSwitch) #show port 0/10

Admin    Physical   Physical   Link   Link    LACP   Actor
Intf      Type   Mode     Mode       Status     Status Trap    Mode   Timeout
--------- ------ --------- ---------- ---------- ------ ------- ------ --------
0/10             Enable    10G Full              Down   Enable  Enable long

(SW00-CoreSwitch) (Interface 0/10)#speed ?

10                       Set speed to '10 Mbps'.
100                      Set speed to '100 Mbps'.

(SW00-CoreSwitch) (Interface 0/10)#speed 100 full-duplex

0/10
Invalid physical mode for this port.

(SW00-CoreSwitch) (Interface 0/10)#speed 1000 full-duplex
                                            ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
*Update 1: Firmware is now 1.2.0.18, no change to above.

Last edited:

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
So your finisar transceivers don't work? Sorry to hear. I am trying to grab mines from my brother. he is looking for it now. Knew i should have took them from his ass before. Now he lost them. Oh well, gotta buy more i guess. Hey Redwing, maybe its a jumbo frames/interface/config setting or something? Just thought i would throw a suggestion out there.

redwing31

Feb 12, 2016
So your finisar transceivers don't work? Sorry to hear. I am trying to grab mines from my brother. he is looking for it now. Knew i should have took them from his ass before. Now he lost them. Oh well, gotta buy more i guess. Hey Redwing, maybe its a jumbo frames/interface/config setting or something? Just thought i would throw a suggestion out there.
Yeah, exact model that @Fritz said worked for him did not work for me. I thought about jumbo frames as well, but even with MTU (on that port) set to 1518, no link. I don't know what else to look for or what the options are...

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
[...], it a Finisar FTRJ-8519-7D HP part #J4858A
Could you please post "show port all" output of the quanta with your Finisar running at 1GBit/s?

Just grabbed two cheap "Finisar FTRJ-8519-7D-2.5" (non-HP branded)...my LB6M and LB4M don't like them. It is identical to what redwing31 posted above (ports are still shown as "Physical Mode = 10G Full" + "Link Status = Down"). But they seem to work flawless in an older Linksys Switch running at 1GBit/s, so they actually can do ethernet (and not only FibreChannel).

Now I'm thinking about trying these: HP J4858A 1000BASE-SX SFP Transceiver | FS.COM

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well hell, I have a very embarrassing confession to make. Unbeknownst to me, there was a rogue patch cable running from the router to my bench switch that should not have been there. I made a foolish and wrong assumption about the 1G connection and now I'm eating crow. Sorry. :(

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Someone got LACP working? How I can create a port channel on thje lb6m?
On my LB4M its just in config mode port-channel and then the name but this command is on the lb6m wrong and not available with ?.
I was at 1.0.2.14 now I'm on 1.0.2.18 and on this it is the same.

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
and now I'm eating crow. Sorry. :(
You are a funny man Fritz! No worries! It was a great suggestion by you and redwing to try the finisars. I mean some 1gb transceiver must work with this switch. I feel like i wanna dedicate my time to seeing if i can search for one that will. Dwright, you are our hope now my man...

Also, Sthsep, I remember Dwright mentioning that he got LAG to work on his switch for 20Gbits earlier in the thread. Maybe send him a pm? I will also ask him as well. I will add the info to my post #122. Also, for the sake of info, I will repost my #122 post, in case people don't want to go browsing through the whole thread to search for alittle startup info on the switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: sthsep

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
REPOST of my post #122:

These are some of the commands pulled from the thread and the manual that seems to work. Perhaps better minds and more knowledgeable people can make a document or something with a complete shortlist of working commands that they know of that work for this beast.
Experienced ones: Please feel free to correct and edit. I am still a noob.

For a simple setup to connect by ssh:

use a simple cisco console cable and connect on the serial port (I use a console cable rj45 to serial, then attach the serial end of the cable to a serial to usb adapter, then plug into my usb port in my pc, works great) you might even be able to find it cheaper than my link if you look around. Then use a terminal program like termite 3.2 (Its simple and works well)

Settings for the terminal program are: 9600, 8, 1, N, N, or something to that effect. Most of the settings are not important, but make sure you set the baud rate to 9600, or i think it won't connect.

once switch is on and booted press any key, the user prompt pops up.

type: admin

then switch asks for password, leave blank, press enter.

a prompt that says "fastpath routing" pops up.

type: enable (this simple command, allows you to start to config items in the switch, if you don't enter this here, you can't access the lower level settings)

it will ask for password again. leave blank, press enter

then type: show network

it will then show the network parameters for the management of the switch. most of them should be blank or a set of zeros. here is where we wanna set the ip address for the switch so it can connect through ssh.

ok, so type: network protocol none (i believe this turns off dhcp, so the switch can take a static ip address)

then type: network parms followed by a space and then each of the following items followed by a space (static ip address you wanna set) (subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0) (default gateway of your network, usually in the order of 192.168.x.0 or 192.168.x.1)

(example: network parms 192.168.0.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1)

then type: show network

you should then see your newly added static ip settings.

now type: ip ssh server enable (this i believe activates the ssh server)

then type: no ip telnet server enable (this i think, allows telnet to be on if no ip address is set?)

then to save, type: write memory

it will ask you if you wanna save the config file, type "Y" i believe. then it will save your config. This new config i believe now boots to the switch everytime you bootup.

Finally, open up putty, or your favorite ssh terminal in windows (i like Winscp as well) and type in your static ip address and leave the port set at 22. it should then prompt you for the username. type admin and leave password blank. You should then see the "fastpath routing" prompt!

I like ssh over serial terminal because ssh windows/sessions are easier to scroll through for me, also, it allows me to just connect to the switch to configure things without needing a console cable. (ironic, since the console cable was needed at first)

Also, if you wanna reset all config settings, and start over, djflow195's 4 steps work great:

1) Hook up a serial cable to the RJ45 console port (Cisco console cable works)
2) Open a serial console 9600-8N1 no flow control
2) Power cycle the switch
3) When prompted, go into the boot menu (not the UBoot menu)
4) Restore factory defaults (which erases the config files)

Alternatively, I personally found out that you can clear the configuration and set to factory defaults by typing: "clear" after you type the enable prompt:

1) Login (SSH or Telnet)
2) Type: enable
3) If you set a password, enter it, if not, leave blank, press enter
4) Type: clear
5) Prompt will ask if you wanna clear settings to defaults or something similar, type "y" press enter.
6) Switch will clear config and your off to the races.
7) Logout/Quit/Exit your ssh/telnet session.

Also, here is itguy82's steps to change the admin password (I added a little bit to it to make it alittle easier to understand):

1) Login (SSH or Telnet)
2) Type: enable (press enter, when ask for password if one is set, enter it, if not set, leave blank, press enter)
3) Type: configure (I think typing "config" also works) (press enter, if ask for password if one is set, enter it, if not, leave blank, press enter)
4) Type: username admin password [type desired password here, no brackets]
5) Press enter. New password should be entered.
6) Type: exit
7) Type: write memory (Always remember to do this, if not upon reboot, you will lose all unsaved settings)
7) Type "Y" then save is complete.
8)Logout/Quit/Exit your ssh/telnet session.

This is just to save/change the password for the admin account. This is not be confused with the "Enable" password access. That password is changed elsewhere, but i kinda recommend leaving the "Enable" access password blank for now.

(NOTE: Always remember to type "write memory" after all config changes to save settings)

Added/Updated: 03/30/16:

Piglover posted the commands to enable Jumbo Frames across all interfaces. Saw it fit to post it here as well, and I spiced it up abit! Thanks for the help guys!

Enable Jumbo Frames across all Interfaces:

1) Login (SSH or Telnet)
2) Type: enable (press enter, when ask for password if one is set, enter it, if not set, leave blank, press enter)
3) Type: configure (I think typing "config" also works) (press enter, if ask for password if one is set, enter it, if not, leave blank, press enter)
4) Type: interface 0/1-0/28
5) Type: mtu 9216 (This is the maximum amount you can put on an interface I believe. This particular number is used, so that even if varying jumbo frame numbers are set across different interfaces in different pc's/servers, (ex. 9000, 9014, 9028, etc...)the interface will be able to handle it as 9216 is obviously higher.
6) Type: exit
7)Type exit (yes, again)
8) Finally Type: copy system:running-config nvram:startup-config (I believe this command is the same as "write memory", but i think this might be more of a complete configuration save? Use whatever you like I suppose.
9) Type: exit
10) Logout/Quit/Exit your ssh/telnet session.

Also, a great help for me, when i am looking to see what commands are compatible, I type "?" (no quotations) and it pops up a list of commands compatible with the switch.

Credit to all you smart people who helped contribute to this info. To all I say Thanks! Will keep updating and editing this post with added info I find whenever i can.

Lets continue to share the knowledge.

Last edited: