Qotom "routing appliance"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
I was perusing Amazon, after becoming disappointed with the Prime Day stuff, and came across THIS. I mean it is a somewhat dated CPU at this point (still good for pfSense??), but quad SFP+ cages, and 5 2.5G ethernet ports, and an external slimSAS connector ( ).

Does anyone in STH-landia have any experience with this, or other Qotom stuff?

SDLeary

Edit: Found a decent website in English. It also states that it has IPMI

Last edited:

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
Previous thread about same platform:

I've the above system (version w/C3558 and two SFP+) and also old Qotom fanless box circa 2017 (Q355G4, board Q3215UG4-P); no real surprises with either. They did update the BIOS on Q355G4 adding serial console support a few years after sale, which was very much appreciated.

I did not find IPMI in this one (Q20331G9 S10), at least in BIOS; though ASPEED AST2400 VGA sort of suggested it.

Reactions: SDLeary
Jul 14, 2017
What do you want it to do?

It's a terrible coffee maker.

Units like that don't make great switches despite the number of ports, since they lack the ASICs that the real things use and are much better at it than CPUs.

Should be more than decent for most firewall applications, possibly a lite NAS.

It's a tool. Chainsaws are cool and all that, but not very helpful for precisely cutting glass.

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
What do you want it to do?

It's a terrible coffee maker.

Units like that don't make great switches despite the number of ports, since they lack the ASICs that the real things use and are much better at it than CPUs.

Should be more than decent for most firewall applications, possibly a lite NAS.

It's a tool. Chainsaws are cool and all that, but not very helpful for precisely cutting glass.
I was thinking router, using pfSense. We have a local ISP that has 10G FTTP for a ridiculously low price compared to the incumbents. I'm not fond of the rental fees that companies charge for their equipment... it adds up quickly.

SDLeary

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
Previous thread about same platform:

I've the above system (version w/C3558 and two SFP+) and also old Qotom fanless box circa 2017 (Q355G4, board Q3215UG4-P); no real surprises with either. They did update the BIOS on Q355G4 adding serial console support a few years after sale, which was very much appreciated.

I did not find IPMI in this one (Q20331G9 S10), at least in BIOS; though ASPEED AST2400 VGA sort of suggested it.
A thread that I completely missed! Thanks Much!

SDLeary