QCT D51PH-1ULH BMC Password reset

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
Hi all,

I picked up a used Quanta D51PH-1ULH last week. So far, so good. I'm having one issue, accessing the BMC page. I get to the login and try every default user and password combination I have found. admin/admin, ADMIN/ADMIN, etc. I've tried the password reset via the motherboard jumper to no avail. Does anyone out there have a solution or insight into defaulting the password? I went to the Quanta web site to get BIOS files hoping a re-flash may reset the password, however they EOL the unit and took down the files.

Thank you for any help.

Cheers

Reactions: Samir

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
processors and motherboards or chassis and enclosures

did you ask to the seller?

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
Yep, that restarts the BMC processor but, unfortunately, does not default the password. It may, but I don't know what it is.

1666488713865.png

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
btw there is not a BIOS section kind of "server management" where you can add/delete users?

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
This might work: Can you try if there are ipmitool on that ssh promt you got? if not try a live linux usb and install ipmitool, and try to run "ipmitool user list" to see what users there are. then (If i remember correct) "ipmitool user set <Id from last command> <password> "

Accourding to the manual, default password and username is: admin/admin

Last edited:

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
This might work: Can you try if there are ipmitool on that ssh promt you got? if not try a live linux usb and install ipmitool, and try to run "ipmitool user list" to see what users there are. then (If i remember correct) "ipmitool user set <Id from last command> <password> "

Accourding to the manual, default password and username is: admin/admin
Thank you for your response. No ipmitool. I reflashed the BMC firmware. Unfortunately, it was for a different Quanta server :( The good news is that it resets the password to admin/admin. Bad news, the information in the GUI is wrong, and the processors are overheating. Live and learn. I am now hunting for the proper BMC firmware for the Quanta/QCT D51PH-1ULH. Anyone?

dalun

Sep 28, 2020
For quanta server, BMC admin password should be able to config via ipmitool.
And for the FW, there should be the v4 CPU upgrade package (which includes CPLD fw, BIOS, BMC fw) in quanta website.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
For quanta server, BMC admin password should be able to config via ipmitool.
And for the FW, there should be the v4 CPU upgrade package (which includes CPLD fw, BIOS, BMC fw) in the quanta website.
Thank you, @dalun. I found "E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) CPU Upgrade Package for D51PH-1ULH.zip" the BIOS and BMC is older than I have. I gave it a try, and unfortunately, it failed. BMC image mismatch.

dalun

Sep 28, 2020
As you mention, the current BMC have wrong model on it, so technically it should deny the mismatch update request via WebGUI / Yafuflash
If you know what you are doing, the BMC image can be overwrite by Yafuflash tool. (but it can also brick you BMC)

Reactions: Gongman66

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
I had a similar issue with a Xeon Scalable quanta chassis. What I did to fix it was temporarily install linux and ipmitool, and reset it that way. (It worked flawlessly)

Reactions: Gongman66
Dec 19, 2020
Thank you, @dalun. I found "E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) CPU Upgrade Package for D51PH-1ULH.zip" the BIOS and BMC is older than I have. I gave it a try, and unfortunately, it failed. BMC image mismatch.
What versions are your BIOS and BMC?

The BIOS version in the "E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) CPU Upgrade Package for D51PH-1ULH" package for that product is S2P_3B04 and the BMC version is 3.16.00, which I thought were the latest.

Dec 19, 2020
@Cheddar Poster, FYI, here are the current versions that I am aware of:
BIOS: S2P_3B08.06
BMC: 3.36.00
IPMI: 2.0
And that's for D51PH-1ULH? If so, where did you find those?

If those versions were for a different server, you should try flashing with the E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) CPU Upgrade Package for D51PH-1ULH package instead.