QCT D51PH-1ULH BIOS Update issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
Hi all,
I am still working on my QCT D51PH-1ULH. I was able to update the BMC to version 3.58. This reset the password and I wasable to access it. Great news.

The BIOS that was installed when I purchased the server was 3B08.06. I attempted to upgrade to 3B14 following the instructions for windows x64. See below. Steps 1-4 seem to work fine. After running BIOS_win64.cmd, I get back to the prompt.

I execute step 5, and the server crashes. I try and do steps 7 and 8 to no avail. I must reflash the BIOS back to version 3B04 via BMC to get the server to respond. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of 3B08.06.

If anyone could share some insight into my issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

For x64 Windows environment, follow the below steps to update both BIOS and ME FW:
(1) Power on the system and boot into Windows OS.
(2) Unzip the release package to the same folder in the HDD.
(3) Open Command Prompt, change to the folder with release package located.
(4) Execute batch file BIOS_win64.cmd to update BIOS.
(5) Execute batch file ME_win64.cmd to update ME FW.
(6) After the update finished, perform an DC cycle, the new BIOS/ME FW runs.
(7) Then, please enter setup, press <F9> to load default and save before any test run.

Content of BIOS_win64.cmd
afuwin64\Afuwinx64 S2P_3B14.02.BIN /P /B /K /N

Content of ME_win64.cmd
afuwin64\Afuwinx64 S2P_3B14.02.BIN /ME

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
working system OS can not access ME region with lock.
shut down the machine first.
IPMI FW update does BIOS & ME.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
working system OS can not access ME region with lock.
shut down the machine first.
IPMI FW update does BIOS & ME.
Not too sure what you mean. I can flash with BMC, however, there is no way to access the ME. The instructions from QCT does indicate you can from Windows. Do you have a D51PH ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Not too sure what you mean. I can flash with BMC, however, there is no way to access the ME
the BMC can access the whole chip, the OS usualy not.
Did that with the same result.
you have flashed the "S2P_3B14.02.BIN" and the server crashed ? the HOST should be OFF while updating by BMC.
after this unpower the system (AC off/on)
after flash with BMC the first POST takes much much longer than usual, exspecialy if the ME was changed and you will see several automatic reboots.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I attempted to upgrade to 3B14 following the instructions
is there another lower rev. BIOS you have to flash first ? 08 to 14 is a wide step.
is there a 16mb and a 32mb BIOS image in your folder ? use the 32mb for BMC.
your instructions i.e. "BIOS_win64.cmd" is unknown to me. i know only "updateFW.bat" and winflash.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
long ago. it was picky to update BIOS revisions. some (from 03 to 04 i.e.) must be done with the hardware programmer as mentioned in the update package because change of Intel-RC etc.
is there another lower rev. BIOS you have to flash first ? 08 to 14 is a wide step.
your instructions i.e. "BIOS_win64.cmd" is unknown to me. i know only "updateFW.bat" and winflash

Hello @RolloZ170,
The only BIOS I have 04 and 14. O8 was on the server but, I don't have the files. There is no 32Mb file on a 16Mb with a BIN extension and an 8Mb with a ROM extension. There is no reference to the ROM file in the README.TXT. Here is the listing of files I have:
1668866327674.png
Do you have other versions of BIOS from your old server? I'm attaching the readme.txt, perhaps I am missing something in the instructions.
I've tried to update vis BMC with the OS shutdown. After a power cycle the server won't boot, however, the BMC is still alive.

Cheers

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've tried to update vis BMC with the OS shutdown. After a power cycle the server won't boot, however, the BMC is still alive
have you tried ?:
Code:
In x64 Windows environment, after BIOS_win64.cmd execution for BIOS udpated, "afuwin64\afuwinx64.exe 3Axx.BIN /N /CLRCFG" to load default.

Always do a DC cycle after flashing BIOS to change some setup items.

DuDu

Dec 31, 2022
your instructions i.e. "BIOS_win64.cmd" is unknown to me. i know only "updateFW.bat" and winflash

Hello @RolloZ170,
The only BIOS I have 04 and 14. O8 was on the server but, I don't have the files. There is no 32Mb file on a 16Mb with a BIN extension and an 8Mb with a ROM extension. There is no reference to the ROM file in the README.TXT. Here is the listing of files I have:
View attachment 25560
Do you have other versions of BIOS from your old server? I'm attaching the readme.txt, perhaps I am missing something in the instructions.
I've tried to update vis BMC with the OS shutdown. After a power cycle the server won't boot, however, the BMC is still alive.

Cheers
Hi, could you share the 3B14.02 or the latest BIOS? I've the same server and want to upgrade from the current S2P_3B04, the qct.io only has 3B04, Thanks.

DuDu

Dec 31, 2022
Same server model, tried the BIOS 3B14.02 provided by Gongman66, thanks, already upgraded to 3B14.02 from 3B04 and it works, the steps:

1) Boot by WinPE 11 x64 USB disk
2) Run "BIOS_win64.cmd" directly, it warns "maybe not the right version for this motherboard", anyway, continue to flash...
3) Run "ME_win64.cmd", it flashes normally
4) Reboot
5) The power cycle is one more time than the normal reboot
6) Boot normally, found the previous BIOS setting lost, it has already been set as factory default
7) Config the setting in BIOS and reboot, then it boots into OS normally

Current BIOS main menu:
IMG_6695_02.jpg

Last edited: