Problem with Dell Perc H710 mini and Seagate Constellation ES.2 3tb sas drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dbrannon79

Nov 2, 2022
Texas
Hello all, I'm new here and looking for some help on my server. Not sure if this is the right section to post, Admin please move if needed.

I have a Dell R720 server running Truenas Scale with a Dell perc H710 mini that is flashed to IT mode (reporting as LSI SAS9207-8i firmware 20.00.07.00). it has been fine up until I purchased several 3tb Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS drives to expand the raid pool.

I started off by removing the existing drives and installing 8 of these new - used drives into the slots to begin burn-in testing on them to verify if they are good and ready to use. when booting up into truenas, I can see all 8 drives but they all are showing 0mb. I have gone through wiping them and attempted to create a zfs pool which failed.

then I went on the go into the Debian shell attempting to run some tests on them. smart status shows them only for a short test and all check out, but attempting to create a partition on them in order to run badblocks test failed. I also tried booting into a windows install usb just to attempt a format. that also didn't work.

lastly I rebooting the server into the Avago utility and began formatting each drive from there. the first drive as of 10 hours ago is still currently formatting the drive. It's showing progress at about 3/4's complete, but I feel this is excessively a long time to do a low level format on a 3tb drive!

I did some searching online and found very little information on what to do, but I am wondering if there is something up with my raid controller too old or not being compatible with these drives. I looked on Seagate's website to see if there is a firmware update for the drives and nothing was available there.

I also have another LSI H200 SAS 9210-8i P20 HBA card I can try to connect these drives and see if I get any different results, but I think this card is older than the H710 for compatibility.

has anyone ran into this type of issue and was able to find a solution on this? are there other checks or utilities I can run to confirm if there is a hardware compatibility issue?

dbrannon79

Nov 2, 2022
Texas
not sure if anyone has had a chance to look into this, but I left my server in the Avago raid utility to format one of the drives. it finally completed the format. screenshot below of the drive details. this took over 10 hours to do a single drive, but I am going to attempt a re-boot and see if I can use the drive now in the operating system.

1667427949379.png

dbrannon79

Nov 2, 2022
Texas
Well that failed miserably. I did run across a post on reddit where someone was describing a very similar situation. they mention the same model number shown on the sticker of my drives, Constellation ES.2, Model#: ST33000650SS. So I figured what the heck I'll give it a shot.

I downloaded the firmware linked in the reddit post which was from HP's site, flashed one drive and started a low level format changing the sector size from 520 as it was reporting to 512.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/kgp78k
if anyone is following along and need info on this, I will report back weather this was a success or not.

Note to admins: not sure if I am allowed to cross link a post from reddit, please remove if not allowed.

dbrannon79

Nov 2, 2022
Texas
Update: I am reporting back with success! following the linked post from reddit worked like a charm. I did the first drive with 100% success.

I also tweaked the process a bit, the single drive I flashed and formatted took 15 hours to complete. since I have a total of 12 to do, I flashed the other 6 that were installed which took a couple of minutes, then used the command tmux initiating the low level format on each drive simultaneously. all 6 drives together took 15 hours to complete. only have 5 more to do following the same steps. If you have the spare time and of course the patients to do, paying about $5 per tb for used storage for a home NAS storage might be worth it vs paying for new enterprise grade equipment.

no one responded to this thread, but for anyone that runs into this problem buying used SAS Seagate drives off ebay that came from data centers might be able to use this info.

Reactions: audiophonicz

audiophonicz

Jan 11, 2021
Hi, sorry Im late to the game.

I had this same issue before when we purchased a ton of drives off a 3rd party reseller, ended up being reman drives. What they did was format "Dell" branded drives in an HP and it skewed the sector size, like you noted 512 and 520. Something about 512 vs 4K vs emulated 4K and the way HP does the emulation. I had to stick all 24 of them in another shelf hooked up to an HBA to see them in JBOD and reformat the sector size. I didnt have to touch the firmware, and I dont remember sg_format taking that long per drive on 12TB drives. But ~3 years later theyre still cookin fine.

Just wanted to respond to you so you know you're not the only one that got bit by reman formatting . cheers

edcornette

Nov 25, 2022
Just got 15 drives with same issue. so this is VERY helpful . Thank You !!! I got 10 drives off Amazon the ST33000650SS, Part#: 9YZ268-046
firmware 6FAA lies. turns out. DKS2D-H3R0SS Revision: 4F0D ... still 19$ each not bad and I figured they were going to be funny in some way..