Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
I want to ask about two things I haven't seen mentioned a lot:

1 - Noise Level. How loud are these when idling / full load? I've read some posts complaining about the fans working at 100% but those were generally when having some kind of problem. Want to know if these are mostly silent or if they get very loud under some load.

2 - Chassis weight. How heavy will one of these servers with both boards weight? They dont look very massive so I'm guessing they weight around 25-30lb?

Thinking of getting one node just for a homelab, but I live in a small apartment and cant really have a very loud server.
1) Idling mine is dead silent, under full load (crypto mining 100% core usage) it's fairly loud, but I have little to compare it to. Anything in between doesn't seem too loud.

2) Weight is probably like 30 lbs or so? It's not too heavy to move or anything.

horribol

Jul 18, 2016
1) Idling mine is dead silent, under full load (crypto mining 100% core usage) it's fairly loud, but I have little to compare it to. Anything in between doesn't seem too loud.

2) Weight is probably like 30 lbs or so? It's not too heavy to move or anything.
A little off topic, but what are you mining? Is it profitable or at least are you not making any loss? Don't mind mining while I'm not at home.

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
A little off topic, but what are you mining? Is it profitable or at least are you not making any loss? Don't mind mining while I'm not at home.
The crypto is Monero and uses an algorithm called cryptonight which was designed to be cpu specific. Using both quanta boards with E5-2650's I make about $2.70/day after electricity costs.

Last edited:

GVP_Supp

Jul 15, 2017
Russian Federation
The crypto is Monero and uses an algorithm called cryptonight which was designed to be cpu specific. Using both quanta boards with E5-2650's I make about $2.70/day after electricity costs.
sorry for offtopic. And which operating system are you using and which miner?
The taobao-link i had expired. Where do you guys get these nowdays? still a good deal?
游戏多开 安卓模拟器 渲染 32核 双路 X79 2011主板 C602 E5-2670
Or do you need a server in the case?

Barnett8

Apr 26, 2017
sorry for offtopic. And which operating system are you using and which miner?
Ubuntu 16.04 using cpuminer-multi with 20 threads per node (optimal thread number depends on your processor cache) and I get ~700H/s out of each for a total of ~1.4kH/s.

Reactions: GVP_Supp

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Also, some rather enterprising sellers in china have created a 12 node (6 unit) vertical cage that appears to fit into a standard 19" rack, looking like a HP BladeSystem. Since I don't see the BladeSystems often, i'd think of them like a larger Cisco Nexus 7k core switch. Pretty intriguing.

Now just to get a metal fabricator to copy the design...

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
ok now i need to build that. We have a metal working company for our gunsmithing work right up the street

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Also, some rather enterprising sellers in china have created a 12 node (6 unit) vertical cage that appears to fit into a standard 19" rack, looking like a HP BladeSystem. Since I don't see the BladeSystems often, i'd think of them like a larger Cisco Nexus 7k core switch. Pretty intriguing.

Were are those listed? Very cool. I would even like to have it as the rack to hold the servers on a shelf.

hweisheimer

Dec 9, 2015

Agreed, that is very cool. Maybe I DO need five more of these, after all. :D

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Agreed, that is very cool. Maybe I DO need five more of these, after all. :D

I'm working on that, just received my third Wiwynn in today.

Packaged MUCH nicer than the first two, those were just thrown in a box with some foam and the power supply retaining pin broke off of one, and looks like the original packing.

Reactions: Tritnaha

Tritnaha

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I'm working on that, just received my third Wiwynn in today.

Packaged MUCH nicer than the first two, those were just thrown in a box with some foam and the power supply retaining pin broke off of one, and looks like the original packing.
Very nice! where did you buy yours?

I'm a bit on the fence as i can't really find room for any more fulltower-sized builds and i can't deal with super-noisy 1U's.

How are these for noise?
How does the backplate look? Would it fit a "standard" CPU-fan (Evo 212 etc)
Shipping times?

Many thanks :)

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I hate to burst your bubble, but those prices are google translate-speak for "quasi-system" only. which in our terms, means barebones only. So it's actually a pretty bad deal, if you calculate them the enclosure ends up costing like $300 and you have a bunch of 6 used nodes.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I hate to burst your bubble, but those prices are google translate-speak for "quasi-system" only. which in our terms, means barebones only. So it's actually a pretty bad deal, if you calculate them the enclosure ends up costing like $300 and you have a bunch of 6 used nodes.
Yes I confirm that it means barebones. I am in Hong Kong and I purchased a lot of Taobao stuff.

Reactions: crotaphiticus