Portable NAS storage for backups

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Is anything like this exists? I have server which I need to backup. One of the backups would be just on another drive. So, ideally, I'd like to take that drive with me home daily.

I see it like this. When come over to office, connect this tiny NAS to network, start backup. Before leaving - take it with me. Enclosure with NAS firmware that can hold 1 laptop drive probably enough. Small and portable is a key.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
there is one vendor who has 4 2.5inch portable drive. forgot the name...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Why do you need a NAS for this? why not an external hard drive?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Why do you need a NAS for this? why not an external hard drive?
Well. It's a server, so if I go with USB (which I thought about) - I would have to connect it to my laptop and deal with networking, etc.
If I connect it to server which is not next to my workplace - I can forget.

I guess idea is to "set up" this thing at the same time when I setup for work (plug laptop, etc).

Server will know to backup to this network share around lunch let's say.

Yes, some days might be missing, but most of the time when I'm in office it will be backed up. I will take it home with me every day.

Again, this is not the ONLY backup. I plan to backup to cloud as well. And data itself on RAID1

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Could do a banana pi with a 2.5" hard drive... not sure what cases that would net you. but it could be rather small and run off usb.
Need an arm based distro too.

Reactions: katit

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If you just want to backup to a hard drive to take home and automate it... why not use software with external USB and have it backup over network while you're at work? Make a scheduled backup task in windows or using something like SmartSync Pro for scheduled backups to start to your USB drive 1hr after you get to work, etc..

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Could do a banana pi with a 2.5" hard drive... not sure what cases that would net you. but it could be rather small and run off usb.
Need an arm based distro too.
That is definitely cool solution, ideally what I want. I do need network though. Even if power have to be separate.. Point is - I want it to be real NAS. But portable in a pocket.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Sorry, but what "benefit" are you seeing from a "Real" NAS vs just a hard drive if it's a single backup copy, done over network, and you're not using RAID1?

You continually mention "drive" not drives, or RAID1, or a mirror... so I'm going on you only need/want 1 drive... so why a NAS at all?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Here is why. My server has RAID1. It backs up into another drive inside. It also backs up into cloud, but cloud backup very slow and just a last resort. Main thing - I want to take backup out of that location/office. In case of fire, theft, etc..

I want to have drive with all the same data outside premises. And you correct, I can do it simple with USB, etc. But. I want to automate it. And. I don't want this to happen over my laptop connection.

The way I see it - I bring it in, power on and get network share online. My server's backup software will backup to this network share. I don't have to connect to my laptop and I don't even have to have laptop on. And server will know where to backup.

I'd like router to give this NAS IP by MAC, and this NAS to expose share on this address with preset credentials. This way It will be always same endpoint. Ideally I also want to switch drives sometime. Like bring it home, drop drive, connect another drive and take it with me next day. This is not incremental backup, just a loss prevention

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Why not a couple of external drives that you rotate weekly storing them in a safety deposit box?

While I find the solution interesting... it seems more complex than the situation calls for.

Reactions: T_Minus

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Why not a couple of external drives that you rotate weekly storing them in a safety deposit box?
While I find the solution interesting... it seems more complex than the situation calls for.
Simple human factor. If I can set it on my desk at the same time when I'm unpacking - that would be ideal. It's a routine. Come in, take laptop out of back pack, take mini-NAS(we have name now) out, plug all this on a desk and thats all. At end of day - take it all back.

With external drives it will work, but involves separate step - going to server. Right now it's not too far, but still not really close. What if it will be in locked room? Having network on and server knowing my NAS would be ideal..

This Pi solution sounds great, it's got FTP and my backup software supports FTP..

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Why do you think you have to go to a server for a separate drive?

I thought you said over network was fine... so you just get a desktop HD Adapter, and a HD case for transportation. MUCH easier than NAS setup/configure, and managing extra hardware. PLain HD you plug in, run software and are done, and if you time/schedule the backup software you just plug it in and forget, just like your idea with the NAS.

Unplug wheny ou leave, put in padded hard case and you're off on you rway home.

As was also mentioned you could use 2-3 and rotate. (What I'd do)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Another option... why not put a tape drive in the server and use tapes? Less risk in transpo, and overall IMHO on the data.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Another option... why not put a tape drive in the server and use tapes? Less risk in transpo, and overall IMHO on the data.
That involves going to server. And buying tape drive and tapes.

I thought you said over network was fine... so you just get a desktop HD Adapter, and a HD case for transportation. MUCH easier than NAS setup/configure, and managing extra hardware. PLain HD you plug in, run software and are done, and if you time/schedule the backup software you just plug it in and forget, just like your idea with the NAS.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. I'm using mac laptop. And work inside Windows VM. And it's over WiFi. I'd rather not block my work machine network for an hour or so during a day. In order for server to push backup to this drive, I will have to setup share on mac. But I'd rather have something with static IP, preset and ready to go without my laptop.

Well, I guess I want something that will expose hard drive to network. And this "something" can sit on my desk. And I can just plug hard drive into this "something"

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
So the NAS needs to be WiFi too?

For what it's worth you can do what you want without a NAS. Just setup a share in Windows, schedule with smartsync pro, and plug in an external hard drive. BUT, like you said it would use your WiFi.

Then again, if you're on WiFi at "work" is the WiFi capable of handling the "workers" + a sustained backup you plan to do over WiFi (terrible idea IMHO).

This whole thing seems like a bad mix of ideas... just my 02.

You're trying to avoid so much and your workstation situation, the LAN situation, you're really in a bad position to have such requirements ;)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015