Poll: Next Storage Management Platform Will Be?

What will be your next storage management platform

• OI/ Solaris 11 + Napp-it

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • FreeNAS

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Windows Server 2012

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • OpenFiler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linux via CLI

• Solaris base via CLI

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Drobo/ QNAP/ Thecus/ Synology

• EMC/ Dell/ HP/ NetApp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZoL (ZFS on Linux)

• FreeBSD via CLI

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Want to get a sense of where people are looking for storage management these days. If you are planning a build --- or had to plan a build today --- what storage management platform?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
No I didnt try that yet. Not really important for my purposes. My network is reasonably secured, and physical theft would be quite difficult in my building.
That said encryption definitely has its place and I used it for anything mobile, but my NAS/SAN for my home just isnt one of them.

I really wish someone would port ZFS into XPenology so I could build a mITX ZFS setup with a Synology front end. That would be ideal.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
Ubuntu Server + ZFS + basic web reporting. Easy to use and flexible... just a shame our web interface isn't a tenth as good as napp-it is :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Admin added (special powers) ZoL as an option. Perhaps the more interesting question would be how many are doing bare metal v. virtualized.

Next will be a napp-it virtualized system on a C6100 node. I would love a napp-it ZoL port (and would be willing to contribute some funds and host the project.)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm considering a new twist on the "all in one" by adding an M1015 and wiring out 8 of the hotswaps on one "node" of my C6100. Cabling would interfere with the hotswap for that one node, but willing to live with that. That leaves 1 drive wired on each node for boot. Then installing ZoL into that node's Proxmox VE Debian host OS (not inside a VM) and publishing over NFS to serve the whole cluster. Leaves me with a 4-node "all in one" virtualized cluster, including live migration between nodes, HA and other fun stuff.

Could probably do the same/similar with XCP.

Napp-it to manage the ZoL would be cool.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I've been using straight Solaris 11 since 11 Express came out. I've always been a command-line junkie, so unless something better comes along in the next few years, my next storage management platform will probably be the same.