PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joerambo

Aug 30, 2023
Look in the Repository, i found it yesterday on a Website from H3C... jxtc404q
From mjshark is too alot of the files, many thanks.
WOW, this forum and its users are incredible value. Thanks for nothing Samsung!

The steps i took to update FW were:
downloaded latest Samsung toolkit 3 Linux version as file samsung-tool

chmod +x samsung-tool
./ samsung-tool -L

| 0 | /dev/sda | SAMSUNG MZ7L37T6HBLA-00A07 | XXXXXXXXXXX | JXTC304Q | N/A | 7153 GB | GOOD | 0.00 TB | N/A |

Your drives will be listed and then execute dor desired disk number:

./samsung-tool --disk 0 -F -p JXTC404Q_PM893.bin

to flash drive wanted.

Worked perfectly, but as always, have backup at hand as Your mileage might vary.

mindio

Feb 28, 2023
You have a „not Samsung OEM“ branded PM983.
Thus you will not have success using DC-toolkit.
You might try NVME-cli tools on Linux but I think the firmware will not fit.
-00FB suffix is probably Facebook flavor. Only -0007 suffix is „Vanilla Samsung OEM“ and only those accepting firmware flashing with DC toolkit.
Getting back to trying resurrect my bricked SAMSUNG MZ1LB1T9HALS-000FB. Attempting:

sudo nvme fw-download -f EDA5900Q_nonSED.bin /dev/nvme0
Firmware download success

sudo nvme fw-commit -s 2 -a 0 /dev/nvme0
NVMe status: INVALID_FIELD: A reserved coded value or an unsupported value in a defined field(0x2002)
Multiple Update Detected (MUD) Value: 46
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from an Admin SQ on a controller

So probably low chance to change this custom FW to any version of vanilla one?
Are there any ideas to at least unbrick current FW from ERRORMOD with nvme-cli?

Thanks!

mindio

Feb 28, 2023
Getting back to trying resurrect my bricked SAMSUNG MZ1LB1T9HALS-000FB. Attempting:

sudo nvme fw-download -f EDA5900Q_nonSED.bin /dev/nvme0
Firmware download success

sudo nvme fw-commit -s 2 -a 0 /dev/nvme0
NVMe status: INVALID_FIELD: A reserved coded value or an unsupported value in a defined field(0x2002)
Multiple Update Detected (MUD) Value: 46
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from an Admin SQ on a controller

So probably low chance to change this custom FW to any version of vanilla one?
Are there any ideas to at least unbrick current FW from ERRORMOD with nvme-cli?

Thanks!
It seems I am trying to upload U.2 firmware on m.2 PM983 drive. Does anyone know where to get any version of MZ1LB1T9HALS-00007 firmware?

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
It seems I am trying to upload U.2 firmware on m.2 PM983 drive. Does anyone know where to get any version of MZ1LB1T9HALS-00007 firmware?
Added Firmware for m.2 pm983 drives to the the repository.
Look always for the first four digits, which represents the hardware revision/type, after this comes the f/w revision or version from 0 to F, next the vendor code, then probably some capabilities like SED/non-SED, lastly Q for ...Q?
An EDA5**** is wrong for an EDA7**** or EDB5****. But i think it will not accept it anyway because of the vendor-lock.
In the SSD Manager software can be an option to get drives out of errormod, i think i saw something last time i used it with parameter /? or -help.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Cool, thanks a lot!

Edit: can’t see the PM983 folder?
Edit edit: need new glasses…
Easy to overlook by all this model names "pm983, pm883a, pm893, pm893a, pm983a, etc.".
Yeah even the pm893/897 got an "a" upgrade, there is some kind of a new v6 Prime V-NAND out with 133-layers. I'm surprised that the v7 176-layer and 236-layer v8 has not been seen in any enterprise/datacenter SSD yet.... ;)

BTW: i put my glasses away long time ago and i still see too much of this world.

mindio

Feb 28, 2023
Added Firmware for m.2 pm983 drives to the the repository.
Look always for the first four digits, which represents the hardware revision/type, after this comes the f/w revision or version from 0 to F, next the vendor code, then probably some capabilities like SED/non-SED, lastly Q for ...Q?
An EDA5**** is wrong for an EDA7**** or EDB5****. But i think it will not accept it anyway because of the vendor-lock.
In the SSD Manager software can be an option to get drives out of errormod, i think i saw something last time i used it with parameter /? or -help.
Thanks for the FW! But it didn't work, same error... :/
Which exactly SSD Manager software do you mean?

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Thanks for the FW! But it didn't work, same error... :/
Which exactly SSD Manager software do you mean?
There i found some output with Magician DC v2.0 parameter -H:

-V [ --vendor-utility ] Enables the user to execute Vendor Utility command on specified disk
Example:
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --FAlog-dump [or] magician -d 1 -V -fa
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --PLP-log [or] magician -d 1 -V -p
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --Escape [or] magician -d 1 -V -e
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --DSLR [or] magician -d 1 -V -dslr

-d [ --disk ] Disk-Number of the disk to execute Vendor Utility command.
-fa [ --FAlog-dump ] Enables the user to extract the log data from a coreview block of the SSD.
-p [ --PLP-log ] Enables the user to extract the PLP log data from coreview block of the SSD.
-e [ --Escape ] Attempts to escape the device from the ERROR MODE state.
-dslr [ --DSLR ] Extracts DSLR from the SSD.

BUT this tool seems to be for ATA only, and i don't know if the -V -e works on the other NVMe Tool...
Tried to issue an format command to the drive with nvme-cli?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
There i found some output with Magician DC v2.0 parameter -H:

-V [ --vendor-utility ] Enables the user to execute Vendor Utility command on specified disk
Example:
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --FAlog-dump [or] magician -d 1 -V -fa
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --PLP-log [or] magician -d 1 -V -p
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --Escape [or] magician -d 1 -V -e
magician --disk 1 --vendor-utility --DSLR [or] magician -d 1 -V -dslr

-d [ --disk ] Disk-Number of the disk to execute Vendor Utility command.
-fa [ --FAlog-dump ] Enables the user to extract the log data from a coreview block of the SSD.
-p [ --PLP-log ] Enables the user to extract the PLP log data from coreview block of the SSD.
-e [ --Escape ] Attempts to escape the device from the ERROR MODE state.
-dslr [ --DSLR ] Extracts DSLR from the SSD.

BUT this tool seems to be for ATA only, and i don't know if the -V -e works on the other NVMe Tool...
Which software are you using? I'm trying to unbrick an ERRORMOD PM983 using Samsung DC Toolkit version 2.1 (version 3 fails on my machine with a SEGFAULT). Vendor utils do not show an escape option for me.

Code:
 -V [ --vendor-utility           ] Execute Vendor Unique command on specified disk

-d [ --disk ]
    Disk-Number of the disk to execute Vendor Utility command.

-fa [ --FAlog-dump ]
    Extract the log data from a coreview block of the SSD.

-plp [ --PLP-log ]
    Enables the user to extract the PLP log data from a coreview block of the SSD.

-dslr [ --DSLR ]
    Extracts DSLR from the SSD.

-p [ --path ]
    Output path to make output file

mindio

Feb 28, 2023
I managed to unbrick the disk with simple: nvme reset command! :)
vanilla firmwares wouldn't still upgrade, but the disk is at least usable again and showing correct capacity.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Thank you! Worked like a charm. I was able to update the firmware using the Samsung tool afterwards, but AFAICT my drive wasn't vendor-specific.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
nice that it worked, another drive which doesn't land in the trash and instead do it's intended job. The samsung tool is anyway based on nvme-cli... which can too be used to set the sector size to native 4k.

mjshark

Oct 12, 2021
Might be slightly off topic, but uploaded a few more firmware files to @DarkServant's GMX link. Uploaded IBM branded Samsung PM9A5 firmware, a few other IBM Samsung drives plus generic firmware for Kioxia CM6.

Reactions: joerambo and mrpasc