Please Help with Home Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

okephil

Aug 14, 2015
I have been a complete and utter bellend. I had a home server (Dell R900) which I have had for 3-4yrs now. The Server was really noisy and cost me a lot in energy bills, as it was on 24/7. My wife was always complaining about the noise, so mentioned to a colleague at work and he advised I took out some fans... I did only now the server is now very silent (think I fried the CPU!).

Anyway moving on, decided I was no longer going to buy a second-hand server, I was going to build my own. That was the beginning of my problems. Off I went to e-buyer, armed with somebody's example online, on how they had configured and built their home lab (for esxi host amongst many others). Except I did not follow their example to the letter. Where I saw X79, I went for x99 blah blah... To cut a long story, my initial order was:

1 x Intel Core i7 4820K 3.70GHz Socket 2011 10MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor 538178 Warehouse
1 x AsRock X99 Extreme6 Socket LGA 2011-3 7.1 CH HD Audio ATX Motherboard 666677 Warehouse
1 x Corsair 32GB (4x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Classic Heat Spreader Memory Kit 370078 Warehouse Shipped
1 x Corsair Carbide Series 330R Titanium Quiet Mid-Tower Case 702564 Warehouse Shipped Invoice
1 x Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache 319641 Warehouse Shipped 1 x StarTech.com 1.5g Metal OxIDE Thermal CPU Paste Compound Tube for Heatsink - cpu paste - thermal compound
1 x Pioneer DVR-TD11RS 8x Slim internal DVD Writer with SATA - OEM 350659 Warehouse Shipped
1 x Corsair RM 450W Fully Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply 545313 Warehouse Shipped

Considering I had not built a pc in over 15yrs and work mainly in applications. Anyway, after all the parts arrived, got to work and discovered the memory module would not fit into the slot DDR3 into LGA 2011-3 socket motherboard! Thankfully, I was able to return it for:
Crucial 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL16 DR x8 Unbuffered
Thought, I was back in business..... Then discovered after fitting all the parts, could not get it power on. Thought it was an issue with the Motherboard or Processor. Off I went back to Ebuyer, naturally they refused to accept to take responsibility, saying from the pics, they could see some pins were bent.
Stupidly, I took the laws into my hands, armed with a magnifying glass, and a needle, attempted to unbend the pins.... Only there was nothing wrong with the pins and that is how they were supposed to be, so managed to destroy the motherboard.

One night lying awake at night, I decided to go to Intel website and check my proc out.... Then it hit me, what a complete wally I had been. My Processor was not compatible with the Motherboard. The socket 2011 was different to 2011-3. So 2 months later £1,200 spent, still do not have a machine.

So going forward, guess I could sell all the rubbish and start again... However, my pride would not let me. I feel I could salvage what was left. So I decided I was going to carry on, try buy another board, that would support my proc, (one with a 2011 Socket). Decided it made sense to lose the memory and get the original one I returned.

However, here lies the issue, I found X79 type boards are like gold dust.... So this morning thought maybe I should lose the proc and build the system around the Memory (really do not want to lose both)..... So thought I would get this motherboard
Supermicro X10SRL-F E5 v3 DDR4 Motherboard LGA2011 Intel Xeon ATX E5-2600 and get a new proc
INTEL XEON 6 CORE CPU E5-2603V3 15M CACHE 1.60 GHZ . Just wondered, what you guys thing I should do to get the show back on the road.

Thanks for reading.

kujinke

Jun 19, 2015
Well in my opinion, just sell the stuff you already bought and start with a solid and good new build. the one you picked could be well, E5 CPU's are great for a 24/7 system. but first you got to ask yourself what are your needs, what applications are you planning on running, and only then you could decide what parts would be the right to go with.

also, if you decided to replace the server you had (Dell R900), from the beginning I wondered why you chose to go with consumer's pc parts instead of enterprise?

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You shouldn't have any problem selling all your parts listed and getting Supermicro, and more 'server' grade gear... that's the direction I would go.

- Supermicro board
- DDR4 ECC
- E5 cpu model I'd say would depend on all your usages -- what are they?
- Intel SSD