pfsense on Hyper-V

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Wanted to share this. I was looking to get pfsense working somewhat well on Hyper-V. Ended up stumbling upon this:
Hyper-V integration installed with pfSense 2.0.1

A pfsense LiveCD with BSD integration components on it. Great fun for my mobile Hyper-V test bed. For some strange reason VirtualBox does not allow my corporate VPN to connect, but Hyper-V does.

Anyone else try this or one of the other competitors (Sophos/ Vyatta)?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Hey - that apparently doesn't work with vLANs but works otherwise for some reason.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
if you dig a little bit more, you can find 2.1 which I run here. It runs well except the nics show as being "degraded" due to it not have the 2012r2 guest software installed. I did mention to them about VLAN trunking being broken (you may have seen my posts on their site) and i think it's something like the BSD drivers for the guest NIC not supporting it because they may not even realize yet that it's possible. It's a fairly new ability to send a trunk port to a hyper-v guest and they may not even realize it's possible. But since you can use native NICs now I can make due with no VLANs for now.