pfsense install question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Curious, what's the difference between the USB Memstick Installer download and the CD ISO Installer?

Normally we burn the "CD ISO" installer using RUFUS in windows for a boot/install so I'm curious what's the difference between doing that and using the specific Memstick installer?

I've already installed pfsense into a VM just fine, and run it on my mini-appliance for 5+ months, but looking to download latest and do a new install just not sure which is BEST and why for bare metal?

Thanks!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Verified my last download almost 12mo ago was the CD ISO image, and it worked for me in VM.

Just got the latest CD ISO image again to try in VM and bare metal.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
USB Memstick Installer is written on an USB flash to be installed on a physical machine (I have used it to install on Alix APU machines - PC Engines apu system boards ). CD ISO Installer is either written on CD to install on physical machine from CD, or booted in virtual machine or through KVM like remote management...