PCIe adapter riser card (low profile x16 to full height x8)?

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by Ouroboros, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Ouroboros

Ouroboros New Member

Recently fishing around at oddball stuff, and noticed while there are many servers with full height x8 PCIe slots, there really doesn't seem to be proper low profile PCIe card adapters that behave as a PCIe pass through riser with lane reduction.

The closest things I found so far is Startech's x1 to x16 adapter, but that doesn't have a stub PCIe bracket to stabilize it, and there are complaints that due to it lacking auxiliary power, some x8 and x16 cards fail to operate correctly. Startech does have a PCIe full height to PCI LP adapter, which does have the stub bracket and aux power but being PCI doesn't do use any good.

Now the obvious thing is to just find the original full height PCIe bracket for whatever card you are having trouble with, but doesn't help anyone with an x8 slot without the rear cutout and an x16 card.

Do x8 to x16 LP to FH adapter riser cards exist that fit correctly, and possibly have aux power?

2. ari2asem

ari2asem Member

3. mb300sd

mb300sd Active Member

I could definitely use something like the first one, but it doesn't look like its the right height to fit a low card into a full height slot. Still useful though, I could always waterjet and bend up a custom bracket, but it's a lot more work.