Patch panels

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mackle, Jan 20, 2017.

1. mackle

mackle Active Member

Scoping out a hinged wall mount cabinet set-up for a church, as its current network equipment is hanging from a wall in a public room *sigh*. A potential NVR system makes this unsatisfactory situation even less satisfactory. I'll probably pair the server cabinet with a SMC type cabinet acting as the building's demarc point.

My question concerns structural wiring & patch panels. I could (1) mount a patch panel on the wall above the cabinet and then patch down into the cabinet. Alternatively I could (2) mount the panel in the rack and take the building runs into the cabinet.

I can see pluses and minuses on both options, but can't find a guide anywhere for best practice.

2. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

My opinion is that a cabinet is meant to secure things so I'd wanted to secure connections in the cabinet.

mackle likes this.
  3. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

I'm the same, patch panels/ structured wiring etc goes into a locked cab or where that's not possible, a locked room. Always wire up taking account of physical security :)

mackle likes this.
  4. mackle

mackle Active Member

Thanks guys, I was leaning that way too - conduit straight down from the suspended ceiling into the cab.

5. cheezehead

cheezehead Active Member

Generally for that kind of setup i'd run 4" pvc conduit from above the drop ceiling directly into the cabinet as others have mentioned for security. The conduit would extend above the drop ceiling anywhere from a couple inches to a couple feet depending on how low the ceiling is and how much airspace there is above the ceiling....generally higher than what a taller person a nearby chair can reach (if there's space). When securing the conduit, place the last clamp inside of the cabinet to prevent someone from loosening it and messing with the sleeve.

mackle likes this.