Patch panels

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Scoping out a hinged wall mount cabinet set-up for a church, as its current network equipment is hanging from a wall in a public room *sigh*. A potential NVR system makes this unsatisfactory situation even less satisfactory. I'll probably pair the server cabinet with a SMC type cabinet acting as the building's demarc point.

My question concerns structural wiring & patch panels. I could (1) mount a patch panel on the wall above the cabinet and then patch down into the cabinet. Alternatively I could (2) mount the panel in the rack and take the building runs into the cabinet.

I can see pluses and minuses on both options, but can't find a guide anywhere for best practice.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
My opinion is that a cabinet is meant to secure things so I'd wanted to secure connections in the cabinet.

Reactions: mackle

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I'm the same, patch panels/ structured wiring etc goes into a locked cab or where that's not possible, a locked room. Always wire up taking account of physical security :)

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Thanks guys, I was leaning that way too - conduit straight down from the suspended ceiling into the cab.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Generally for that kind of setup i'd run 4" pvc conduit from above the drop ceiling directly into the cabinet as others have mentioned for security. The conduit would extend above the drop ceiling anywhere from a couple inches to a couple feet depending on how low the ceiling is and how much airspace there is above the ceiling....generally higher than what a taller person a nearby chair can reach (if there's space). When securing the conduit, place the last clamp inside of the cabinet to prevent someone from loosening it and messing with the sleeve.