P360 Ultra, a couple M920q’s or something else?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blackhelmet34

Mar 27, 2023
Looking for some advice here on upgrading my homelab setup. I currently have an older Intel NUC i5 running Proxmox with Home Assistant, Frigate, and a handful of other services. I’m looking to move Frigate to running stand-alone on the NUC and get some new hardware for Proxmox. Looking to run all of my current services plus a Windows Server lab environment for some work stuff and leave a little headroom for the future.

I have been following the TMM series for a while now and was looking at getting a couple M920q tiny’s with i7s, add some RAM, maybe HA Proxmox cluster and be at or under $1k. Then I saw Patrick’s video on the P360 Ultra which looks like it could also fit the bill, with plenty of capacity to expand in the future and newer hardware. An i7 is right around a grand on eBay, add some RAM and be good to go.

Couple things I care about, in no particular order are:

Noise level - these boxes will be in my office.
Heat - same reason.
Power consumption - not a huge concern, but would like to get decent run time on UPS/not run up the power bill too much.
vPro - this is definitely something I want which is why I’m not looking at M75q, etc
Reliability - as this hardware will be running Home Assistant and several other important services for the house, I want it to be reliable and not have to mess with it much. That’s the primary reason I’m not looking at a custom built box.
I have a Synology NAS currently running Plex, but may shift this to the new hardware at some point so wouldn’t mind if the hardware was capable for that.

There are so many options with both of these routes that it’s hard to know what specs to look for on eBay and what is cheaper to upgrade after the fact, so any recommendations on that front would be great. Also any other places to buy besides eBay?

All that being said, I’m open to any advice on one of these two options, or possibly something else entirely. Thanks!

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
With @Patrick reviewing the new HP Elite Mini G9 and the talk of a 10GbE Flex IO adapter, I ended up purchasing one (waiting on it to arrive) to test in my HP Z2 Mini G5 and HP EliteDesk Mini G6. If so, I would argue the Elitedesk can be a real winner. It has 2 NVMe slots, a SATA tray, plus that FlexIO for dual NICs with the primary NIC being vPro/AMT. With all that in mind, it has been hard to steer away from them even if Lenovo has a PCIe slot.

I did like the idea of the P360 Ultra (and Dell's similar the Precision 3240/3260) but the increase in chassis size just for a single PCIe slot wasn't a real "value add" if the 10GbE card HP offers is such a true fit-in for other models, and QuickSync handles transcoding duty which means no need for a dGPU. The last piece of my use case which ended up being easily covered was both HP models I have easily took a Google Coral TPU in the WiFi M.2 slot which took some CPU burden off my NVR VM.

blackhelmet34

Mar 27, 2023
With @Patrick reviewing the new HP Elite Mini G9 and the talk of a 10GbE Flex IO adapter, I ended up purchasing one (waiting on it to arrive) to test in my HP Z2 Mini G5 and HP EliteDesk Mini G6. If so, I would argue the Elitedesk can be a real winner. It has 2 NVMe slots, a SATA tray, plus that FlexIO for dual NICs with the primary NIC being vPro/AMT. With all that in mind, it has been hard to steer away from them even if Lenovo has a PCIe slot.

I did like the idea of the P360 Ultra (and Dell's similar the Precision 3240/3260) but the increase in chassis size just for a single PCIe slot wasn't a real "value add" if the 10GbE card HP offers is such a true fit-in for other models, and QuickSync handles transcoding duty which means no need for a dGPU. The last piece of my use case which ended up being easily covered was both HP models I have easily took a Google Coral TPU in the WiFi M.2 slot which took some CPU burden off my NVR VM.
Interesting, I haven’t watched that video yet so will have to check it out. I don’t have any 10GbE yet, but it’s definitely on my wishlist and the Coral TPU compatibility is very compelling - currently using a USB Coral. Thanks for the info!

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Forget the m920's and snag some m90q's with either the i5-10500 or i5-11500 cpu's.

You can find them on Ebay for well under $300 and they can take 64G memory, have 2 x nvme, 1 x sata, and 1 x PCIe slot :cool:

blackhelmet34

Mar 27, 2023
Forget the m920's and snag some m90q's with either the i5-10500 or i5-11500 cpu's.

You can find them on Ebay for well under $300 and they can take 64G memory, have 2 x nvme, 1 x sata, and 1 x PCIe slot :cool:
I feel like demand for these TMM machines must have gone up recently as I’m not seeing anything under $400 on eBay… someone else recommended the P360 Tiny as being around $500, but all I’m finding is over $800!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Still Deals still on Ebay.
last 3 months, picked up 3 x Dell 5090 mini i5-10500T for $200 each shipped.
Added 2 x 32gb ram ( $40 per stick ), 2TB nvme , 2TB SATA SSD.

There is no pcie slot , but I could added 2.5gbe network.

Today, just received a $170 HP 600 G6 I5-10500, it is currently running stress test.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I feel like demand for these TMM machines must have gone up recently as I’m not seeing anything under $400 on eBay… someone else recommended the P360 Tiny as being around $500, but all I’m finding is over $800!
If you are patient the deals are there...even under $200 :D

1685052374401.png

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I ended up finding a refurb P360 for a price I couldn’t pass up. adding 128Gb RAM and dual 2TB M.2 SSDs put me just over $1100. It’s a great little box and is doing everything I need it to so far!
That is a *really* good price - I don't blame you at all. If the refurbs start showing up around that $600-700 price mark consistently it might move me from HP Z2 Mini's to them for easier expansion.

blackhelmet34

Mar 27, 2023
That is a *really* good price - I don't blame you at all. If the refurbs start showing up around that $600-700 price mark consistently it might move me from HP Z2 Mini's to them for easier expansion.
Especially for an i7 with vPro! My A/E Coral TPU just showed up and Proxmox is picking it up. Haven’t gotten Frigate switched over yet but looking promising so far.

The only downside so far is that it didn’t come with the carrier/cable for a SATA drive and I haven’t found it readily available yet.

jirijanata

Mar 9, 2016
I have few questions about P360 Ultra.
1. Can you disable E-Cores in the BIOS?
2. The M.2 cooler is standard, right?
3. You can install up two PCI-E devices, right? 1x x16 (4.0) and 1x x4 (3.0) with open end.
4. How long can be the PCI-E device?
5. The x16 slot can handle up 2 Slot Halfheight card, right?
6. Are in the BIOS any Bifurcation settings (Intel 12th Gen should support x8/x8)?
7. AMT/vPro ist working fine?

Thank you very much!

sprucestream

May 24, 2023
Would a P360 Ultra with i7-12700T, T400, 16GB RAM for $650 be considered a good deal? Are these things going to plummet in price after a few financial cycles? Thanks

wesm63

Nov 9, 2018
Curious if the P360 Ultra would support the new 48GB SO-DIMM Modules for a total of 192GB RAM?
Just to answer this question for you and anyone looking, they don't support non-binary DIMM's as of BIOS S0FKT29A (latest as of this post). I purchased a P360 Ultra and a 96GB kit of Nexen DDR5-4800 and it failed to post with 3 short beeps and 1 long (DRAM memory error). I tried various configurations and same beep post error every-time.

Hopefully it's not a chipset limitation and they will update the bios to support it at some point in the future.