Out of band remote control of a desktop pc?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Guys, i have a HP DL360 G9 for my homelab. It's triggering my impatience. Even tough it has 12 cores the cpu is slow, memory is only 2133. It's a power sucker, etc. But it has ILO, which is great, actually something really necessary for the stuff i do.

I'm thinking about using a desktop. Anyway to have something like ILO but for a desktop machine?

Apologies if i'm posting this on the wrong sub-forum.

Can please someone influential tell the mini pc makers to make them with 4 memory slots? Also with out of band remote control. We got mini pcs, they are great. Now we need mini servers. Please.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Depends on what you mean by 'server', I know Supermicro, at least, makes several boards compatible with consumer Core i3/5/7/9 CPUs which have an ASPEED BMC, random examples: X12SCZ-F | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro and X11SSM-F | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro

They do tend to be expensive, however, even used.
Ok, going to check more supermicro stuff. Hopefully they'll have amd stuff as well.

You can also get or build a pikvm and use with a normal PC: PiKVM - Open and inexpensive DIY IP-KVM on Raspberry Pi

Edit, some PCs also have vPro, which also allows for remote access.
I was hopeful about pikvm, but right now it's 400€+. Even for DIY, not sure if raspberries available at decent prices.

Going to check vPro, hopefully it also allow for remote turn on/off. Iso file booting, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

EDIT: Does amd have something similar to vpro?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What kind of remote control do you need?
On os level? -> remote desktop/vnc for windows, ssh/vnc for linux

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I'm guessing only server boards got these, yeah?
if a board with ASPEED is a server board for you then yes.
i.e. the gigabyte mc12-le0 runs desktop Ryzen, but this special one is not recommended, but there are more, ITX too.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
What kind of remote control do you need?
On os level? -> remote desktop/vnc for windows, ssh/vnc for linux
Install a hypervisor and remote control the OS from there.
Like i said on the title and post, something out of band like HP's ILO.

if a board with ASPEED is a server board for you then yes.
i.e. the gigabyte mc12-le0 runs desktop Ryzen, but this special one is not recommended, but there are more, ITX too.
Why not recomended?

If you just need dead simple console and cheap, it's doable wireless with a Pi Zero 2 W. DIY PiKVM V2 - PiKVM Handbook
Pitty it's wifi only. Normal raspberrys are still high priced. Hmm maybe i'll check if orange pi serves as a substitute.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
Like i said on the title and post, something out of band like HP's ILO.

Why not recomended?

Pitty it's wifi only. Normal raspberrys are still high priced. Hmm maybe i'll check if orange pi serves as a substitute.
you might be able to get it working. I'm gonna go source for another orangepi... the only orangepi I have is pretty old and lacks display output so I can't really see what I'm installing

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
you might be able to get it working. I'm gonna go source for another orangepi... the only orangepi I have is pretty old and lacks display output so I can't really see what I'm installing
Thanks for the link. I need wired network, so i'm thinking a orange pi zero 2 W with a aditional board or a Zero 3. Both are still kind of cheap. But i'm seeing cheap network kvms on aliexpress. Hmm...

Offtopic: i see there are mobile workstations cpus from amd that suport 256GBs of memory like the 7940hs. Perfect for a homelab! We need the chinese makers to build mini servers with this!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Offtopic: i see there are mobile workstations cpus from amd that suport 256GBs of memory like the 7940hs. Perfect for a homelab! We need the chinese makers to build mini servers with this!
Don't get your hopes up. While the CPU may support it, such RAM to make that happen does not exist currently.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
Pretty much. Iirc the sensible SODIMM ceiling is 32gb per stick? That's gonna take ages and probably not before many more generations

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I'm surprised no one had mentioned Intel vPro (AMT specifically) tech - usually limited to business desktops, but you could use it to control the bios settings.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
I'm surprised no one had mentioned Intel vPro (AMT specifically) tech - usually limited to business desktops, but you could use it to control the bios settings.
VPro is veeeery limited because there's a lot of hardware requirements
First, it must have a VPro enabled network port
Second, the whole entire platform has to be looked over by intel
Third, the CPUs they support is very specific.
B760? Out H770? Maybe
Z790? Hell no
K SKU? absolutely not
More often rather than not it will only make a appearance on mini micro PCs and usually not the ones you'd buy now