OS drive failed - now what about the ZFS RAID 1 storage drives?

Discussion in 'Linux Admins, Storage and Virtualization' started by marcerickson, Mar 26, 2019.

1. marcerickson

marcerickson New Member

My operating system drive failed. I had two drives configured as ZFS RAID 1 storage drives. How can I reconfigure them into the mirrored pool they were before the crash? Am I going to have to back up the data that was on them before I create a new mirrored pool? I'm hoping I can somehow create the RAID 1 mirror pool without doing anything other than issuing the correct commands.

Mint 19.1 xfce x64.

2. vl1969

vl1969 Active Member

You do not need to reconfigure them.
    I assume that you had a separate os drive and 2 data drives ib zfs raid1.
    If that is correct than just replace the os disk, reinstall is , make sure it has all zfs related libs installed. Than use zfs import command to see all pools it xan find. If all is ok it should find your mirror pool and list.
    Use zfs import "your pool name" command and it will reimport and remount your pools just as it was in old system.

3. zxv

zxv The more I C, the less I see.

It's also possible to use just "zpool import", to show what pools are available to be imported. That can help show whether there is a missing disk or other issues. It should show you your 2 drive pool, and you can import it like @vl1969 said.

4. Unfadingpyro

Unfadingpyro New Member

What they said ^^

I just had to do something similar a couple of weeks ago. Proxmox os crashed, I reinstalled the OS, and used zfs import and was able to get my datastores back like nothing ever happened. ZFS is great!

zxv likes this.
  5. marcerickson

marcerickson New Member

Great! Thanks!

This array had an issue before my OS drive crashed. If the issue is still present, I'll start a new thread.

6. marcerickson

marcerickson New Member

Actually, the command is zpool import <pool_name>. But thanks - you got me onto the right track.