OS drive failed - now what about the ZFS RAID 1 storage drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcerickson

Mar 26, 2019
My operating system drive failed. I had two drives configured as ZFS RAID 1 storage drives. How can I reconfigure them into the mirrored pool they were before the crash? Am I going to have to back up the data that was on them before I create a new mirrored pool? I'm hoping I can somehow create the RAID 1 mirror pool without doing anything other than issuing the correct commands.

Mint 19.1 xfce x64.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
You do not need to reconfigure them.
I assume that you had a separate os drive and 2 data drives ib zfs raid1.
If that is correct than just replace the os disk, reinstall is , make sure it has all zfs related libs installed. Than use zfs import command to see all pools it xan find. If all is ok it should find your mirror pool and list.
Use zfs import "your pool name" command and it will reimport and remount your pools just as it was in old system.

zxv

The more I C, the less I see.
Sep 10, 2017
It's also possible to use just "zpool import", to show what pools are available to be imported. That can help show whether there is a missing disk or other issues. It should show you your 2 drive pool, and you can import it like @vl1969 said.

Unfadingpyro

Sep 17, 2016
What they said ^^

I just had to do something similar a couple of weeks ago. Proxmox os crashed, I reinstalled the OS, and used zfs import and was able to get my datastores back like nothing ever happened. ZFS is great!

Reactions: zxv

marcerickson

Mar 26, 2019
Great! Thanks!

This array had an issue before my OS drive crashed. If the issue is still present, I'll start a new thread.

cjbl

May 9, 2022
Would this situation be avoided by having a mirrored OS drive? Is this even advisable? I.e having for example 2 SSD OS drives mirrored, together with a separate mirrored (or other config) ZFS pool for spinning rust drives. If one OS drive crashes / fails, you still have 1 working, giving you time to replace the failed one.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Would this situation be avoided by having a mirrored OS drive? Is this even advisable? I.e having for example 2 SSD OS drives mirrored, together with a separate mirrored (or other config) ZFS pool for spinning rust drives. If one OS drive crashes / fails, you still have 1 working, giving you time to replace the failed one.
yes, that works fine. Even /boot under Linux can be an md raid1. I run several machines like that that simply have 3-way mirror md raids as only filesystem.